RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Been debating removing built in dinette/ bed...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Been debating removing built in dinette/ bed...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We want to remove the fairly uncomfortable hide-a-bed/couch and get a couple of recliners for watching tv. Due to the built-in dinette/bed it limits the width we can go. I
Has anyone removed the built-in? Not sure what is behind it but my thought is wainscoting the slide. Maybe add an electrical outlet. Does one use nails or liquid nails to attach.
If that goes fairly easy, heck, maybe I get brave and take out the top bunk in back...

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're liable to find the space under your dinette used for a furnace or electric panel or just about anything. Mfg's don't waste much space.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

You're liable to find the space under your dinette used for a furnace or electric panel or just about anything. Mfg's don't waste much space.

That side only has a full wrap around storage. The panel and furnace are directly across on the other outside wall.

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed mine and gained space but lost storage. I liked the extra room.

al

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our TT, we removed the dinette for a reclining love seat. Best decision we made for that floorplan. Easy to put back in too. Debating whether or not to do it in our motorhome? Don't need more comfy seating now, but will rarely sit in the dinette, if ever.

If you have no other option for good seating or need more, don't hesitate, do it!

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just check for anything that may not be able to be removed. When I removed the dinette in our Minnie trailer, there was a small box covering the opening where the 12 volt wiring came through the floor. Fortunately, it was close enough to the sidewall that I could remove the cover and leave the wiring as a small cabinet was installed next to it and a Flexsteel couch replaced the dinette.
When I removed everything, the walls were not a problem. Typically, walls are finished before furniture/cabinets are installed.

Good luck!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in our previous TT we had a dinette booth, couch and 2 small recliners. im a big guy so sitting and eating at dinette was not comfortable. i removed the table and unscrewed one of the dinette seats and turned it sideways against outside wall and against the other dinette seat. basically made a small Lshaped sofa. lost a bit of storage but my wide enjoyed sitting and laying on it reading or watching tv while i had the large sofa. just she and i so we ate off tv trays when not eating outside camper. before we traded it in on current TT i replaced everything back to original locations.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Been debating removing built in dinette/ bed...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS