RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Abbadox

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wil be buying my first travel trailer soon and am currently trying to decide which truck to get. I prefer the look and style of the Ram Rebel but not sure if I would be better off going with a 2500 series instead. The trailer I will be buying is the East To West Della Terra 25KRB.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks to be about a 7500 lb. GVWR trailer....so, I'd go with the 2500.

I'd buy the truck that will haul your NEXT trailer. There will always be a "next" trailer if you stick with this RV'ing thing, and it will be bigger and longer and heavier.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are new to the forum, you may not realize that this could be called "you need a bigger truck forum", but yes, most times a HD truck, such as the 2500, will make a better tow vehicle. Many 1/2 ton later model trucks are very capable pullers, just check that the payload is up to the task.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy or select the trailer first. Then match a truck to it. Think “payload” first as MLF suggested.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The maximum payload on the Rebel is 1850. By time options are added it will come in lower, let's say 1,700. Now take a guess at how much you will haul in the the truck (passengers, firewood, other gear) and that will let you know how much you have for the trailer.

Dry weight on the trailer is 5,000 and once optioned and loaded with gear would expect about 6,500. This might seem like a lot but we do not pack especially heavy and we come in at 1,500 over dry weight.

If you put 13% of the trailer weight on the tongue that is 845 before adding the weight for the receiver hitch and sway bars. So let's call it 1,000 even.

So that is the tough part with the 1500 style truck. You start running out of payload. With these rough numbers you would have roughly 700 lbs left for passengers and gear and you would be at max and possibly over the rear axle weight rating. You typically get P type passenger tires on the 1500 trucks rather than the LT Light Truck tires which provide greater carrying capacity.

So you can probably get away with the Rebel, but you would be at the top end of capacity. The Ram 2500 is a lot more truck.

And kudos to you for asking the question before you bought the truck and trailer. Lot's of folks ask these questions after they have made the purchase.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Abbadox

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

The maximum payload on the Rebel is 1850. By time options are added it will come in lower, let's say 1,700. Now take a guess at how much you will haul in the the truck (passengers, firewood, other gear) and that will let you know how much you have for the trailer.

Dry weight on the trailer is 5,000 and once optioned and loaded with gear would expect about 6,500. This might seem like a lot but we do not pack especially heavy and we come in at 1,500 over dry weight.

If you put 13% of the trailer weight on the tongue that is 845 before adding the weight for the receiver hitch and sway bars. So let's call it 1,000 even.

So that is the tough part with the 1500 style truck. You start running out of payload. With these rough numbers you would have roughly 700 lbs left for passengers and gear and you would be at max and possibly over the rear axle weight rating. You typically get P type passenger tires on the 1500 trucks rather than the LT Light Truck tires which provide greater carrying capacity.

So you can probably get away with the Rebel, but you would be at the top end of capacity. The Ram 2500 is a lot more truck.

And kudos to you for asking the question before you bought the truck and trailer. Lot's of folks ask these questions after they have made the purchase.

Take it easy,
Stu

In terms of payload it would just be myself. I work online for a living so a coupe of laptops and some clothes would be pretty much it for cargo.

Abbadox

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ram Rebel comes with LT275/70R-18 tires

and it has 3 motor choices:

3.6 Liter V6 24v VVT eTorque
5.7 Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT Engine
5.7 Liter v8 Hemi MDS VVT ETorque Engine

Which one is best for hauling a trailer ?.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When towing, generally the engine with the most horse power, and low rpm torque. I know that V6 makes good power, but I would choose the 5.7 V8. The one with most HP/TQ.

Jerry

Flan

NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The power wagon has the rebel front end and is a 2500

Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flan wrote:

The power wagon has the rebel front end and is a 2500

I was going to say the same thing. We got a new one to test at work and it is one good looking truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.