RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I don't like about the 2500 is the six speed transmission. It can't hold a candle to the ZF 8 speed. There are versions of the ZF that can handle a lot more torque and HP than the 6.4 makes, The Hellcat uses one. I don't get why they aren't using it.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are this year.
To the OP, you're on the big end of a 1/2 ton, with a trailer like that. Doable, no problem, but 2500 chassis will not even flinch at a trailer that size.
the greater % of towing and hauling, the more sense a 3/4 ton makes.
And remember a 3/4 ton can do anything a 1/2 ton can do, but the opposite isn't true.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Abbadox wrote:

I wil be buying my first travel trailer soon and am currently trying to decide which truck to get. I prefer the look and style of the Ram Rebel but not sure if I would be better off going with a 2500 series instead. The trailer I will be buying is the East To West Della Terra 25KRB.

Someone else mentioned it...and it's great advise. Plan for your second trailer. After you've been in the current one for a while, you might decide that it doesn't best serve your needs and are ready to trade up.

We bought a high wall pop-up about 4 years ago. I grew up camping with my parents in a smaller pop-up, so I'm thinking that it won't be that bad....wrong. My sister and I were small enough that we never really had to help significantly with setting it up and how much of a PITA it really is. We keep it because I can't justify a new camper sitting in my driveway when I don't really get to use it that much. However, we have spent several days walking around RV lots and RV shows so we have a better understanding of our needs now.

And this could easily happen to you as well. Since you work online, you might be able to spend a significant time in it. You might decide that you really wished it had a slide out for the extra room, or some other reason.

A 1/2 ton will tow what you're looking at now, just like a 1/2 ton towed what I have, but when it came time to upgrade, I went with a 3/4 T diesel because I'm hoping to upgrade trailers within the next couple of years and everything that we've been looking at is in that truck range.

Remember, it's always cheaper to do it right the first time, even if it might cost you a few more dollars upfront. Plus, Ram is having some really good deals on the remaining in stock '18 models. I got close to 12K off sticker so it worked out well for me.

Long post but I guess the advise is as the other poster said, plan for your 2nd camper

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Vanished

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Flan wrote:

The power wagon has the rebel front end and is a 2500

I was going to say the same thing. We got a new one to test at work and it is one good looking truck.

Just be careful on that recommendation if the OP believes the door stickers as gospel, mine has less payload than most 1500's... (Yes I know it's capable and safe [emoticon] ) Oh and btw - the '19's have the new 8 speed transmission!

2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Ram Rebel or 2500 ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.