RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Do I need a surge protector?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need a surge protector?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NOM rating for power down here is not

110V

117V

120V

It is 127V

But Mexican campgrounds use 14 gauge wire so it doesn't take much imagination to see why there is variance between high demand and middle of the night electrical periods. I've seen a 35 volt variance between 5PM and 4AM

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 03:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Found out after we bought one that our coach has surge protection built in but... I still prefer that the 300.00 or less unit we plug into the tower, post, outlet or whatever to take the hit instead or at least first. It saved us grief a few times. In Missouri the campground had both 50 amp circuits going to one leg. The unit kept everything from frying on that leg and half the coach was dark.
I'm not sure that was the diagonsis. It has been a long time. In Michigan a campground we visit a lot on a packed holiday weekend a surge then brown out was caught by the unit. Another occasion lightning hit power distribution, something or other and popped the unit. During a storm some trees and high tension lines, came down and all kinds of fireworks popped the unit.
Our unit is undamaged but I have read here and elsewhere, over the years, of RVs being saved by the units which themselves were sometimes fried. In some reports the mfg replaced the damaged units but not always. I don't remember the two or three brands or even what mine is at the moment. It plugs into the pedestal and cord into it.

There are post here on this forum and others of some RVers losing microwaves, air conditioners,tvs and every thing else from a surge,...and brown outs from low voltage. We don't have one of the EMS that boost voltage but it's on the list.. We see low voltage we turn on the generator and disconnect for time being.

EMS does not boost voltage. There are 3 different devices. Surge protector, EMS, and Auto transformer. Each one does a different job. Do some research.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

First there are surge protectors and surge PROCTERS the Hw-50C is the latter.

I've read of transfer switches and other devices with built in "Surge protection" but what I see when I look at them is spike supression. A Spike is a brief high voltage.. They do nothing for you if the voltage at the oullet is too low and if you plug into a 240 volt 30 amp outlet (Don't laugh and do not say it can't be done.. Happens all the time. often because somebody mis-wired a TT-30 or failed to read the "Max 125 volts" printed clearly upon it)

Well the MOV's in those things go off like July-4. Firecrackers.

Now the HW-50C will shut you down if the voltage goes low
It will shut you down if the voltage goes high
And it will protect you from Spikes.. Without firecracker effect

So yes. you need one.

I would put it in the line on the shore side of the ATS.. I don't worry so much about my generator. (Onan's monitor their output and shut down if it goes crazy)

[emoticon]...[emoticon]...YES !!

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need a surge protector?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS