|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Where we camp we don't have the best internet signal. And we don't like watching the same movies over and over.
The arguments against streaming for everyone are quite clear, but timmac seems to be on a quest to save the world from Satellite tv.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

There is so much bad info here that I could not wade through it all. If someone already gave the correct information, good for you, I will just repeat the correct information.
1) DTV is not doing ANYTHING to RV's or RVers.
2) DTV IS dropping SD service but you will still be able to pick up DTV with a dome and and HD receiver with your existing dome.
3) Once this happens (likely early 2020) you WILL be able to receive DTV in HD with a dome (but you need an HD receiver)
4) Your dome will work just as it always has and will still receive only programming broadcast on the 101 satellite and that reception will be in HD.
5) While you will be able to receive HD with your dome, no one currently knows which channels will be broadcast from that 1 satellite.
6) You can always get an HDMI to RCA or Coax adapter so you could receive the programming in HD and use adapters to watch the programming in SD on an SD TV so the expenses would be very limited.
7) Anyone concerned about this today is wasting time and effort. When it does happen, it will only take a couple of days to get a new receiver or shut off DTV. The choice is yours!

Very good info. I have a couple of questions
1. MOST if not all domes will only lock into the Direct 101 Sat. Since Direct broadcasts almost all there SD programming on that Sat, it was a good choice for Direct customers if they did not care about HD. So, once Direct drops SD, do you think they will slide some of their HD from the other Direct sats to 101? The reason I ask is, my research seems to be, Direct is NOT going to utilize the 101 sat as it is older and will be decommissioned. Is this true? Doug

DirecTV has officially announced that they WILL be broadcasting a number of channels IN HD from the 101 slot. That means anyone using a dome and using an HD receiver (required to pick up anything) will get whatever channels are broadcast from 101 and they will be in HD. The only question is which channels. We expect there to be a large selection but my guess is NO NETWORKS. No one has this information as of today so anything you read about what channels will be available is pure speculation.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Where we camp we don't have the best internet signal. And we don't like watching the same movies over and over.
The arguments against streaming for everyone are quite clear, but timmac seems to be on a quest to save the world from Satellite tv.

Well that is about to change, Space X is sending up hundreds of satellites that will allow you to have internet anywhere in America and beyond..

In 2 years the internet world will change and the satellite TV companies will be heading for bankruptcy..

[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

101 uses for a old satellite dish..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=101........1+uses+for+a+old+satalite+dish&FORM=AWVR

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

2oldman wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Well that is about to change, Space X is sending up hundreds of satellites that will allow you to have internet anywhere in America and beyond..

In 2 years the internet world will change and the satellite TV companies will be heading for bankruptcy..

[emoticon]
\

Well that would be fine if thats actually what happens.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wait to see your internet bill for unlimited satellite internet from the Space X service. Not only will the ring of satellites cost several BILLION dollars to get in orbit, there still needs to be the infrastructure to keep them in orbit and maintain a connection to the internet. Space X says cheap internet for the Planet. I say Bah-Humbug. I have hopes for the company but I see no hope of it being anything close to what I would call cheap.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How in the world can anyone love SD??

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

LOL, I've always wondered that myself. I guess if all you watch is the news and old black and white rerun movies it's fine.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

It's cheap and they don't have to get rid of their old equipment.

* This post was edited 05/31/19 09:40am by 2oldman *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2014 in Oregon I was planning to watch the Winter Olympics on my SD receiver and in motion dish on DTV. Then I found out DTV DID NOT broadcast SD, only HD, to that area. It was clear that the handwriting was on the wall.

My related post prompted other posts about their areas without SD. And after that there was a growing list of similar areas. I migrated to a full array HD SWM dish which my HR24 receiver supported. This did add to the list of receiver setting changes when it was moved between house and RV.

DTV has delayed the SD cutoff several times already so to me the date is in question. I have not seen the channel lineup and so I would have reservations about what HD stations will be on a 101 bird. I would also want to know how a HD receiver would work on a 101 dish only. Maybe OK but will there be constant errors related to 99 and 103 and/or guide problems? The HR24 has options for SWM, 18" round dish with 1 or 2 LNBs. What do other models support?

My current concern is AT&T service as it relates to local changes. If it has become difficult/length as reported due to the AT&T changes I'll consider other options. DNS or Dish will be considered, video streaming will not.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS