|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I can get ANY show or movie available - for free

Tell us more.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps a new thread is in order. This is getting off topic and still sitting in Class A.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

There is so much bad info here that I could not wade through it all. If someone already gave the correct information, good for you, I will just repeat the correct information.
1) DTV is not doing ANYTHING to RV's or RVers.
2) DTV IS dropping SD service but you will still be able to pick up DTV with a dome and and HD receiver with your existing dome.
3) Once this happens (likely early 2020) you WILL be able to receive DTV in HD with a dome (but you need an HD receiver)
4) Your dome will work just as it always has and will still receive only programming broadcast on the 101 satellite and that reception will be in HD.
5) While you will be able to receive HD with your dome, no one currently knows which channels will be broadcast from that 1 satellite.
6) You can always get an HDMI to RCA or Coax adapter so you could receive the programming in HD and use adapters to watch the programming in SD on an SD TV so the expenses would be very limited.
7) Anyone concerned about this today is wasting time and effort. When it does happen, it will only take a couple of days to get a new receiver or shut off DTV. The choice is yours!

Very good info. I have a couple of questions
1. MOST if not all domes will only lock into the Direct 101 Sat. Since Direct broadcasts almost all there SD programming on that Sat, it was a good choice for Direct customers if they did not care about HD. So, once Direct drops SD, do you think they will slide some of their HD from the other Direct sats to 101? The reason I ask is, my research seems to be, Direct is NOT going to utilize the 101 sat as it is older and will be decommissioned. Is this true? Doug

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

timmac wrote:

Yep and with Space X Star link internet that will be online in less than a year you can get high speed internet world wide..

2 years and satellite/cable TV companies will roll over and die, don't buy expensive satellite equipment cause it soon will be junk...

[emoticon]

You keep telling us satellite TV will be dead in 2 years. I beg to differ.

Not everyone wants to watch TV off the internet...and not everything available on cable/satellite is available on the net.
And just like doomsday cultists who keep predicting the world is going to end in 10 years (caution: political dig!), if he sticks with his two year prediction long enough, eventually he will be right.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

And just like doomsday cultists who keep predicting the world is going to end in 10 years (caution: political dig!), if he sticks with his two year prediction long enough, eventually he will be right.
And just like the religious cultists who keep predicting the tribulation, 2nd coming and end times (religious dig) they will be right.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully with all the streaming advocates here, someone doesn't get the idea that they can use a campground's ISP for this.
I mean you're lucky to download your mail, in most places and many will even shut you down, with trying to download a MB or two, let alone for continuous streaming 24/7. In fact, it won't work anyway, being choked to death.
You'll need some sort of an unlimited plan, using another device, like your phone for example, keeping in mind that normal tethering can get quite expensive.
For us, the old Bat wing on the roof is just fine, with HD, included and for watching all we can stand, for a few hours a day. Sometimes, the best things in life, are for free.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

Hopefully with all the streaming advocates here, someone doesn't get the idea that they can use a campground's ISP for this.
I would have expected the word "can't"

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Tell us more.

X2

You can watch just about any movie made in the past 80 years at anytime streaming..

I bet 90 percent is free and commercial free..

You cant teach these old dogs new tricks, they are stuck in the high price per month cable/satellite TV world and will never understand how awesome the new streaming is and how much of it is free..

[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

tropical36 wrote:

I would have expected the word "can't"

Correct any RV park I have been at the internet was worthless, that's why you have to have your own Wi-Fi with you to stream movies.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Tell us more.

X2

You can watch just about any movie made in the past 80 years at anytime streaming..

I bet 90 percent is free and commercial free..

You cant teach these old dogs new tricks, they are stuck in the high price per month cable/satellite TV world and will never understand how awesome the new streaming is and how much of it is free..

[emoticon]

Where we camp we don't have the best internet signal. And we don't like watching the same movies over and over.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS