|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

* This post was edited 05/31/19 11:08am by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

In 2 years the internet world will change and the satellite TV companies will be heading for bankruptcy..
Perhaps you also have some stock market sure things.

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a novel idea that just might fly ( pun intended ) using commercial
aircraft .

https://newatlas.com/airborne-wireless-network-aircraft-internet/47093/

The idea is the sky is full of planes constantly so to use them like a
satellite or repeater .

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You boys and girls keep talking about "Unlimited" plans for streaming and things like the Fire stick. Well, the last time we checked, an unlimited data plan was about $10 a month and you had to by a "Jet pack" from Verizon. The Jet pack was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 or so. And in order to use it, you had to be in a cell site service area. If you were outside of that, you might as well play cards. Or, if you're lucky, your raised batwing might bring something in.

We have TWO Fire sticks. And well, I'm just not all that impressed with them. And we use them at HOME, not on the road. It seems that almost no matter what kind of program I want to watch, be it a weekly TV show, or a movie, a very, very large percentage of the time, all I get is buffering. About 95% of what I look to watch, never even comes in because, there's no one streaming it or however that system works.

As far as "Loving SD", well, I wouldn't say we LOVE IT, but, we get along with it 'cause it's what we have. We use a borrowed SD Direct box from our daughters place and, it's the lousiest plan there is. "The greatest ladder", hmmm, yeah that's what I want to watch for sure. hahahaha. But, again, it's what we have and use. Sooner or later we'll figure something out.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't agree with you more about what "streaming is all about! I have Fire Sticks on every TV in the house, I have "Kodi", I can get about 150 OTA channels and I have Direct TV. When I'm ready to relax for the night, at times I can't find a darn thing that I want to watch(its is rerun time of year after all).

Now in regards to SD over HD....its mind boggling to think many of us didn't have TV at all in our tent camping days yet now, some could not bare the thought of an SD broadcast....amazing!! Since both my Sat's on the MH are older(KingDome in Motion and a Datron auto seek), I'm wondering what exactly is going to happen when it finally does happen. If the channels aren't plentiful enough or what I would like, then it might be time to switch over to DISH Network. No point in going overboard on any particular delivery method. If I can stream with T-Mobile and a We-boost, great, if not, there is always a book to take me back to the OLD Days....LOL

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

FlatBroke wrote:

How in the world can anyone love SD??
It's cheap and they don't have to get rid of their old equipment.

I had a whole post prepared. I even got about 1/2 way through and then I said to myself, self I said, no one cares. SD is dead. Get over it!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

You boys and girls keep talking about "Unlimited" plans for streaming and things like the Fire stick. Well, the last time we checked, an unlimited data plan was about $10 a month and you had to by a "Jet pack" from Verizon. The Jet pack was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 or so. And in order to use it, you had to be in a cell site service area. If you were outside of that, you might as well play cards. Or, if you're lucky, your raised batwing might bring something in.

We have TWO Fire sticks. And well, I'm just not all that impressed with them. And we use them at HOME, not on the road. It seems that almost no matter what kind of program I want to watch, be it a weekly TV show, or a movie, a very, very large percentage of the time, all I get is buffering. About 95% of what I look to watch, never even comes in because, there's no one streaming it or however that system works.

Scott

1st off get the Roku 4 HD box and have a good internet at home, its far better than Firestick, certain wifi TV boxes don't have all the content and buffering issues is your weak internet..

To stream you need good equipment and good strong internet, like I have said before I get the latest shows and can even watch some movies that are still in theaters, plus thousands of shows, sitcoms, news, sports, documenters, you name it I have it at my house and on the road..

Just like a satellite dish and equipment you need the good stuff if you want to get all the good channels..

* This post was edited 06/01/19 01:44am by timmac *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

On the HR44 HD is available only with an HDMI cable. RCA Composite video output is available but is not HD.
That was one reason I later switched to a HDMI splitter and equipment to send HDMI HD on the coax. Wireless HD is also available.

For those that choose to remain with a SD dish and HD receiver (IF that is a viable option) after the cutoff then SD on coax is a option.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no such thing as an SD dish. The antenna just receives whatever is broadcast. In this case, the signal coming from the 101 satellite only (domes and single LNB antennas). 101 is currently broadcasting SD from 101. The will change to HD in Jan. 2020 (current rumored date) so those "SD dishes" will become "HD dishes". An HD receiver will be required to receive ANY DTV programming after this change takes place.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Where we camp we don't have the best internet signal. And we don't like watching the same movies over and over.
The arguments against streaming for everyone are quite clear, but timmac seems to be on a quest to save the world from Satellite tv.

Not too many arguments against streaming. Of course the fact that Sat and cable are losing market share to internet streaming at such a remarkable rate that even the cable and Sat companies are offering streaming packages should tell you something. Aside from the occasional inability to get a decent signal, there aren't really any downsides. And Internet coverage is growing daily. Sat will eventually become obsolete.

Google "is streaming taking over satellite" and see how many articles pop up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV turn off date
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS