|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Control_Freak wrote:

But why 15% hitch weight?is this because the optimum hitch weight should be between 10-15%? So calculate it at 15% to be on the safe side? Dry weight calculations from the manufacturer is 12% hitch weight. I’ve looked at a few other TT around the same weight but they have significant lower hitch weight and vice versa, lower TT weight with higher hitch weight. For example heartland mallard 335 has a weight of 8840 but a hitch weight of 780. I’m assuming this is how the weight of the TT is distributed, which would mean that depending on how you load cargo in the TT would directly effect the hitch weight.

10% is pretty marginal...hit and miss if you have sway problems due to hitch weight.

Even at 12% you will be a little over your limits but 15% is a nice solid safe number where you shouldn't run into hitch weight related sway problems.

The manufacturer numbers for hitch weight are often wildly wrong...only thing I've ever been able to figure is they know that no one runs empty and once you fill the water and put in a bunch of stuff, it will go up percentage wise.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CF, my TT's tongue has a brochure dry weight of 620lbs.
weighed on a Sherline scale, with just the basic cargo in it(no clothes, water or food), it weighed 750lbs.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Control_Freak wrote:

I understand the difference between dry weight and loaded weight, I’m only using dry weight as a comparison for hitch weight ratio as published by the manufacturer. So the manufacturer says the dry weight to hitch weight ratio is 12% but you are using a 15% ratio when the trailer is loaded.

Is there no way to know what the hitch weight ratio is will Be when the TT is loaded besides weighing is when it is actually loaded?
There is no way of knowing what the ratio will be until it is loaded. But, you can rearrange cargo to change it after the fact. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with using 12% as a realistic guesstimate of what he loaded hitch weight will be, 100 lbs one way or the other is not going to lead to automatic self destruction. You seem to have a pretty good grasp of all the concepts.
Just in case there is something that can help you out, A good place to get reliable, unbiased information is here: Clicky
but in reading your posts it seems you already got a decent understanding of all this.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the explanations and responses.,

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no problem, let us know how you make out

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been a great thread so far! The only thing I will add, and I realize I may be extreme, but instead of the 80% rule, I have found my comfort level at about 60% of maximum tow. That might not be realistic, but it does make a huge difference in safety, comfort and ability to relax while towing.

I'm passing this thread along to a family member that is researching and learning! Thanks.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s not a done deal but we decided on a lacrosse 3399se, i know a lot of people shared concern about the tow weight and payload and I really appreciate it. After talking to several people at the dealership, my spouses dad (30+ year master GM auto tech), the techs at the dealership my spouse works at (Chevy/Cadillac) and General Motors we feel comfortable with our decision. We plan on using a high quality WD hitch with sway control and If there’s an issue, we’re prepared to alter our plans for camping ( packing bare minimums/close to home etc), swapping trucks with my dad and/or upgrading our truck in a few years if necessary. We knew a general idea on what we wanted in a TT before buying our truck but I didn’t consider the tongue weight until a few of you mentioned it, we already had the truck by then and I knew there were certain things that we wouldn’t be happy without and we just couldn’t get them in a smaller TT, so rather than buying a smaller one and being unhappy and upgrading camper AND truck in a year or so we decided to buy the one we want knowing we might not be able to use it as much and pack very sparingly, if we have to upgrade our truck then we’ll deal with it. I want you all to know I very much appreciate all of your advice and I didn’t just disregard it, we weighed our options and made our decision.

So moving forward, my original question was how do I prevent getting a lemon, let me tell you all this story. After we worked out final numbers on the price of the TT I told them I wanted to go look at the unit again, it had been pouring buckets while we were inside. Lo and behold there was water in the unit near the corner of one of the slides, go look outside and one of the seals had gotten caught in the slide and was buckled, pulled it out like it was supposed to be and it’s shape was distorted, the unit had been on the lot since March and we’ve had record rainfall. I know that seal had been like that since they set it up and I can only imagine the amount of water that went into that unit over he last few months. Told them it was a hard pass for us and were able to get the same price on a 2020 that hadn’t been prepped yet. So I’ll take that as a win win!

There’s a really nice campground about 15 min from our house that has full hook up with pull through sites, figure that will be a nice easy maiden voyage trip for us, especially since I’ve heard there’s a lot of fighting amongst couples when backing into spots.

I’ve been reading and watching lots of videos of setting up and tearing down camp, not gonna lie I’m a bit intimidated but everyone’s got to learn sometime. Wish us luck!

SoonerWing03

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s a whole lot of camper for a 1/2 ton. However, I think they market everything as 1/2 ton towable anymore. Congrats on your purchase but most importantly have fun and be safe.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the 50 % rule. Then towing is easy and the trip is a lot more fun. I don't want my RV to weigh a lot more than my TV. Always buy used because there is no perfect RV.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull throughs are good. Let your wife drive the truck with trailer, and in fact have the dealership teach her how to hook it up and unhook it. And then let her learn to back it up. That my friend will go miles in eliminating "fighting". My wife is perfectly comfortable hooking the trailer by herself. She's still struggling with backing it up, but can take a trip on her own.

Enjoy the camping experiences

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS