|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My spouse and I are looking at purchasing our first RV, he grew up camping, I did not....

We have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 6.2L with max trailering, manufacturers tow rating of 12,200 pounds and are looking At travel trailers, the two models were specifically interested in are prime time lacrosse 3311rk and outback 341rd, we both prefer the floor plan of the outback, but have heard the quality isn’t all that great but we e also heard that pretty much all brands can have significant problems.

I’ve read the horror stories and they seem to be pretty even around the board, how to I protect myself from buying a “lemon?” Or what pitfalls should I avoid. I REALLY don’t want to jump all in to be riddled with a huge headache.

Any advice for this potential newbie is welcome and appreciated!

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be ok but what’s your truck’s payload and what/who will you be carrying in the truck? Outback will be 1400 pounds of tongue weight plus hitch.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 'small things' you fix youself - get good at it. The major things the dealer or mfgr should fix (fridge, heater, elect system) ... again, get good at fixing (small repairs) your RV and you'll love it. Read the reviews (not the dealer sales/site reviews, but other reviews sites

Most are in reasonable shape, learn how to take care of it - because after the warrenty (such as it is) you'll need to fix minor issues. Leave major issues to the Pros. Just enjoy it ... pick a good one. Listen to RV.net about what you choose - ask questions, listen to the answers. Pick those posters that seem knowlegeable. Ignore the rest. Good luck...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not plan on towing any thing near 12,200 lbs. Learn and understand about GVWR, GAWR and GCWR.

I would say you trailer looking should be restricted to no more than 9600 lbs.as a maximum GVWR for the trailer.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To amplify Ken, my Tahoe is rated to “pull” 8500 pounds. I wouldn’t go over 6000.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try to find a late model used trailer. A lot cheaper than a new rv and you will save a lot of money???? Do not buy any Extended warranty plan, waste of money?? before you buy the rv, take it to a good rv shop and have it completely checked out to make sure all the systems work.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pursuant to the above post, IMO best way to not get a "lemon" or at very least have to put up with multiple warranty fixes, buy newer used, private party, where you can get the repair history from the original owner. Preferably older person who is meticulous. (You can tell when you talk to someone )
Most "problems" are assembly quality issues or stuff that pops up when the rv is new. Again, IMO. Have friends and family that have bought quite a few new RVs. Seems most of the issues are first year/uses.

Wouldn't deter me from buying new though. Look at fit n finish. If everything works and it looks good then it'll be ok.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check your weight math. I suspect you don't have the payload to tow what you think you can. that 12200 doesn't mean anything. with a travel trailer you will run out of payload long before you hit that number.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy used...have had several friends who bought new upscale RVs...they all had multiple issues from new...and guess what, warranty work typically comes after work from paying customers is complete. Warranties typically don't have maximum time frames for repair.

Another vote for...you probably can't safely tow 12k lbs if you look at all the numbers.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A camper is a house on wheels. A lot of things and systems on it. Plan on your first "camping" trip to be in your driveway overnight so you can get things from the house that you find you need. Next trip, if possible, would be a nearby campground - again, so you can go back to your house for things.

Warranties - Most new campers have a 1 year warranty on most parts of it. If you can go out camping at least a few times the first year, that should be enough to highlight any issues your camper might have.

Small repairs? Sure, just like a house, there will be things to tighten or fix - loose trim around a door, mirror that needs to be tightened, table leg that could use reinforcing. I would not bother bringing a camper back to a dealer for these things.

Come to these forums to ask any questions. Someone here has dealt with everything at some point.

After that? Go camping! After the one or two "shakedown" campouts, load up and go. I always prefer to be at least an hour from my house - makes it difficult to return home to do things.

We are in to our 15th camping season with our camper - up and down the East Coast twice, all over New England - with almost no "repairs" at all. Just basic maintenance. When you talk to people, and especially go on forums (like this one), most of what you hear and read are about problem - because when everything is going fine, you are to busy enjoying things to be posting on the internet!

Have fun!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS