|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If "Control Freak" is more than your rv.net handle, I suggest camping is not for you.[emoticon] It's more enjoyable if you go with the flow.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the replies. I’m surprised at the recommendations to buy used, we have always had the thought process of buying new because people don’t always take care of their stuff, proper maintenance etc. but it makes sense since most issues happen during the first year. This may or may not be an option, depending on what is available in our area. Hubby is more than capable of fixing the small stuff, I worry about the slides, lots of issues with water leaking. I’ve heard before that extended warranties are worthless but what about roadside assistance?

As far as the tow capacity...we’ve ran the numbers meticulously, crossed off some trailers that were technically in the range but too heavy when you add the cargo. Here they are, let me know if you see any red flags.

Truck
Base curb weight 5007
GVWR 7300
Max payload 2100
Max trailering 12200
GCWR 17800

Two models were looking at
Dry weight 8425/8154
Payload 2075/3081
Hitch weight1045/1035

We will be traveling with two adults and 2 larger dogs, no kids based on what I’ve read 1500 pounds of gear is a good estimation. Which puts us at 81/79% max trailering. The weight of the passangers inc. dogs 515, add another 250 in miscellaneous cargo In the bed.

Heavier trailer 8450
Trailer cargo 1500
Truck 5007
Passengers 515
Misc cargo 250
Total 15497
2300 pounds under GCWR

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

If "Control Freak" is more than your rv.net handle, I suggest camping is not for you.[emoticon] It's more enjoyable if you go with the flow.

Haha! Yes I am a bit of a control freak, but the name goes more with my profession ??

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to use the payload rating of your particular truck. Look at the yellow tire loading sticker on the door jamb of the truck. It will say something like "weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxx lb".

Now add up the weight of passengers, cargo, AND the tongue weight of the trailer. Not the dry brochure tongue weight, use 13% of the expected loaded weight of the trailer. That total should be LESS that the payload capacity shown on the door sticker.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 1/2 ton truck.

I have been towing for over 40 years and I would never consider towing a 38'; 8K lbs dry weight TT with a half ton truck.

When this thing is loaded you are likely going to be over 10 thousand LBS. That's not going to cut it on payload with a 1/2 ton truck.

One of two things need to happen:

#1. Get a bigger truck along with your new trailer.

OR

#2. Get a WAY smaller trailer to tow with the truck you have.

Good luck and happy new RVing!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2100 payload
-515 people
-250 random
-100 hitch
=1235

1235/.15=8233 lbs loaded weight (I would plan around the gvwr of the trailer not the bs dry weight plus a random number)

no way you are within payload ratings for trailers over 8k DRY when they are fully loaded (with your very conservative numbers) you will be way over.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed stupider stuff with a 1/2 ton than a 10k trailer, but I agree for a couple reasons, maybe not those that have already been posted, that 38' and 10k is a bit much IMO.

Payload, not worried about that. That's what wdh's are for. Truck handling the trailer, not as worried about that, that's what sway control is for. Power to tow, not worried about that, brand new 6.2 pickup will pull.
My concerns are, sounds like y'all may not have alot of towing experience under your belt. This is doable, but looking back I wouldn't want to cut my teeth on a 60' long combo that's at the max abilities of my rig.
Also related to skill and comfort level. You have to maneuver and back that thing up as well as handle other tight situations either at 1mph or highway speeds.
It IS the upper end of what I'd want to tow with my personal vehicle. Flatland towing, weekend local trips to the park, not as big a deal. Coming down a 10 mile long 6% grade with a couple hairpins thrown in ups the ante considerably.

Not deal breakers, but thoughts to consider.
You said 2 adults, no kids. The trailers you're looking at are full on homes on wheels. Some folks want to tow a condo to the RV park and fire up the AC and live in their camper, some want a nice bed and shower and a place to keep their beer n food that doesn't require bags of ice after a day outdoors. Think about what you want out of it before jumping into the biggest TT's on the market.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I didn't consider the hitch weight as adding to the max payload, that does make a big difference in the overall numbers, and could possibly put us over the max payload. I know someone mentioned my numbers as being conservative and that I should use the max payload for the TT, but the thing is there is over 1000 pounds of difference in the two models. Why should I should add 1000 pounds to the overall numbers just because the TT can handle it?

The new silverado is a workhorse as far as trailering goes, compare it to the 2500 same box same bed but with the duramax diesel, your not talking much difference ...

These are off the site not the vehicle sticker
Tow 13000
Payload 2513
Curb weight 7462
GVWR 10000

We have towing experience, not anything this long but we have a decent sized boat that we tow. As far as what we want/need, We like to hike and explore new places, but taking two large dogs to a hotel room can be exhausting. We absolutely DO NOT just want to drive down to the local campground to just sit around and socialize, sit by the fire or hangout inside....we can do all that in the comfort of our home. We don't need a huge TT but I have to have room for my dogs, at least one dog crate for my youngster, a king size bed is a must and I would like to have a living area layout that makes sense for spending time inside during rainy days. We're not opposed to going smaller but it seems that we can't find something to meet these requirements in a smaller size.

* This post was edited 05/30/19 10:16am by Control_Freak *

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

2100 payload
-515 people
-250 random
-100 hitch
=1235

1235/.15=8233 lbs loaded weight (I would plan around the gvwr of the trailer not the bs dry weight plus a random number)

no way you are within payload ratings for trailers over 8k DRY when they are fully loaded (with your very conservative numbers) you will be way over.

Your numbers equal 200 pounds under the dry weight of the TT and 200 pounds over the dry hitch weight. Are you saying that the manufacturer numbers are incorrect or skewed?

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, frankly im saying you don't have enough truck. not even close. I ran your numbers through to figure out what payload your truck can comfortably handle. ONLY payload considered here since with a half ton its usually the limiting factor. As I suspected you don't have enough. PS if 100 lbs of hitch throws a wrench in things then IMO not nearly enough margin.

remember dry weight is not the weight of the trailer before you load it. dry weight is without things that are in it when you get it. IE propane tanks, batteries, appliances,

Do what you want, I wouldn't dream of pulling anything close to that big and heavy with that truck. good luck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS