|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Control_Freak wrote:

I’m the wife [emoticon] Also, we live just south of Belleville, any recommendations on local campgrounds?

We were just at Waterloo State Park. It's well kept up, although I don't think they have any pull throughs. They also do not have water and sewer at the sites. Not too far from home. We're going to the UP in august and spending several days at millcreek in Mackinaw.

Detroit Greenfield is not far, a friend stays there every time he comes to town.

Camp Dearborn is another one that people seem to like.

BV highshool parking lot is nice and open for you guys to learn backing up [emoticon]

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CF,
PhilH has a good point about practicing parking at BHS.
The other thing you should plan is to camp at least the first night in your driveway. That way you can discover how things work (or don't) when it is not critical.

We have a Belleville zip, but are in New Boston. I can maybe help as I do know the local area. We seldom "camp" less than 4 hours away, but I keep tabs on what is local so I can tell others.

In the above, at least two were missed. There is a camping area at the fairground that is largely FHU, but it is an open parking area. Then there is the campground at Lower Huron that is 0HU, and kind of pricey for that. There are lots of others withing an hours drive.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How could I forget about fairgrounds???

Sterling State park is another nice campground

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

That would be easy in my book.
I think Sterling is very forgettable too. It is largely a shadeless parking lot. Half of it is FHU and the other is Eonly. The beach is OK.

There are others, but she should decide what she likes and work RVpark (now Campground) reviews to think about them.

Matt

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

philh wrote:

That would be easy in my book.
I think Sterling is very forgettable too. It is largely a shadeless parking lot. Half of it is FHU and the other is Eonly. The beach is OK.

There are others, but she should decide what she likes and work RVpark (now Campground) reviews to think about them.

Matt

Sterling is also notorious for the spring mayfly hatch, and for the Lake Erie algae blooms that occur later in the summer.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

congratulations on the purchased. Campt driveway is a good start. a large empty parking lot and some cones is worth the time if you aren't comfortable backing up. enjoy

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We live in Monroe, so those are all great, I forgot about Sterling. Harbortown is about 15 min, with pull through so I figured that would be a good start, but Sterling would be even better because they have trails we could explore with the dogs. I’m not really into the camping just to sit outside and chill by the fire, honestly I can do that at home, I really want to be able to get out an explore with my pups. I suggested Maumee Bay but hubby turned his nose up, since he spent a lot of time there as a kid. I figure at least a few close by camps before going to far, I really want to go to Pigeon Forge but it might be too far for the first year. I’ve already been planning open parking lot for practice backing up and parking, it’s going to be a tight squeeze getting into the driveway bc we live in a caldesac ??. But we have a 24ish foot boat trailer that we get in fine so we’ll see how it goes.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you mean Pigeon Forge TN, realize what you are getting into. A wall-to-wall-traffic tourist trap. I advise staying outside the area and visiting early morning if you Must see it.

Control_Freak

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

If you mean Pigeon Forge TN, realize what you are getting into. A wall-to-wall-traffic tourist trap. I advise staying outside the area and visiting early morning if you Must see it.

Really?!? That’s discouraging I thought it was more of an outdoor attraction.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're that close to Monroe, then Cabelas has a HUGE parking lot to practice backing up with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS