RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Could it be simply a matter of more air in the tires?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Could it be simply a matter of more air in the tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Thursday, I replaced the OEM BF Goodrich Rugged Trail LT245/75R17 LRE tires with the identical sized BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tire.

Up until last Thursday, my truck with the OEM tires (always inflated to 55# front/60# rear per the yellow sticker on the door jam) and the Jay Flight 23RB trailer were an extremely stable combo. 99.9% of all passing 18 wheelers never wiggled the combo. Normal winds had little effect.

However, the first tow with the new tires and same trailer, loaded about the same, was closer to a white knuckle affair. The air pressure in the new tires was the same as the OEM tires, 55# front/60# rear.

Would it help if the new tires were aired up more? Say to 65 or 70 in the rears, and 5 to 10 pounds more in the front?

The basic tread design is exactly the same between the two tires. However, the new tires are 3 pounds heavier per tire, has a slightly deeper tread, and counting the heavier, larger shoulder lugs, is about .5 inches wider.

Any thoughts?

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

dmck413

Fluvanna Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem going from Michelin to Firestone on the rear of my truck.They got better on the return trip from M.B with no pressure change. I think they had to break in a little.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would give it a try, just don't go over the max pressure on the tires themselves.

Also try inflating front and rear the same, see how that works. You have a good hitch setup, probably transferring a lot of weight to the front of the truck.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they need to go through some heat cycles. Give them a thousand miles. I would also up the pressure as you recommended. I don’t like running “E” rated tires below 60 psi.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of hitches and weight distribution - try adjusting the hitch for a little more (or less) weight distribution. With my camper, I like to tow with a heavier tongue, feels better.

Also, have you changed anything in the camper? Moved things around? Any extra weight anywhere? Try moving stuff around to change the weight distribution inside the camper.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with new tires is a break-in period makes a big difference. They do seem to squirm more, even when not towing, but airing them higher has helped, until adding some miles. It takes some miles, more being better, but by 5K, it is what it is.

Jerry

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^What they said. The first 500 miles (A/T tires especially) are noticeably squirmy. Some brands worse than others but it might just be an affect of how "green' the tires are.

Since the new tires are wider, you actually might see better handling with slightly less pressure, as wider tires carry more load for the same PSI. Running the same PSI can keep the tire shoulders from making good contact.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KO2s are squirmy at first. Put some miles on them and it'll go away.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read all about your problems HERE.

Replacing tires on a TV right before a vacation trip is akin to buying new hiking boots right before a big hiking trip. "Some" tires, like boots take a while to break in.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squirmy new tires, it'll go away.
FWIW, they are not the same basic tread design, not even close.
Rugged Trails (cute name, considering they are one of the harder compound, non snow, non AT, non mud tires out there) are pure pavement pounder tires. Great wear, no noise, smooth.
BFG AT's are almost the exact opposite. Just about as aggressive of an AT tire as you can buy before it's considered a mud tire. Excellent traction in all conditions. Not loud, but louder than highway tires. Softer compound, wear quicker.
Great tires, just different than your previous tires.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Could it be simply a matter of more air in the tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.