RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your original question, I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors on our toad in a Florida state park campground. It's an easy car for brake jobs though, and it only took about 30 minutes per side. I did not ask permission, and no one complained.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did y’all miss his third post where he said the brake fluid is all gone??? He needs more than a 30minute pad replacement.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got an auto parts store to allow me to do the fix tomorrow in the lot.

Bought new front calipers, pads, rotors, torque wrench, brake fluid and floor jack.

Ready to tear into it as early as possible tomorrow.

Plan to replace all, bleed front and rear brake lines, torque up the wheels and go. (Then retorque after 50 Miles)

Thanks for all the input regarding the campground and the offers for a spot to do it in. The positive posts were much appreciated. Kind of laughing at the haters instead of getting annoyed.

When you are semi-stranded, the auto parts stores are pretty nice about doing things like this in their lot. Especially when you spend about $800 (before core returns) in the store.

Happy To be doing these myself too. Faster, more attention to detail, can have confidence in the work. Since this truck has never seen the snow, hoping the rotors will pop right off.

In NJ now. Nobody's dead. No scratches on anything, haters. Lol
But I did back into someone's RV today in NJ. Custom vanity plate said, "jfkmk". I left a note to say sorry. That should do it, right? [emoticon]

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

Honestly, I think a lot of you are inexperienced and don’t know what you’re talking about. You have never owned a vehicle with an exhaust brake, manual transmission and a diesel engine. I don’t think you understand how to even drive one. These brakes have lasted many tens of thousands of miles because you don’t really use them when you have an exhaust brake.

I can drive all day. 400 miles. And never use my brakes except for when I am in town. I don’t use them even a little bit on the highway.I just drove from Ottawa to Toronto to upstate New York around the lake, no problem. Hundreds of miles. I never touch the brake pedal. I barely touch the brake pedal on secondary roads. The only time I really need it is coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or light.

So wake up. Stop posting stupid stuff.
From a old trucker here you are an idiot if you think that granny gear and exhaust brake will do anything for you in a panic stop.
You are a danger to all around you and think its ok.

Well, worked fine today.

I was easily able to do as good as the ABS system (rear wheels only, of course) and put rubber down on the ground with the wheels still rolling a couple times in just the situation you're describing. Did that twice today when people cut me off or traffic came to a screeching halt from 75mph.

It'll be a lot nicer to have fully working brakes tomorrow though. Not gonna lie. Looking forward to it.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soren wrote:

I would just pull into a NAPA, or similar, buy the parts, park the truck off to the side, and have at it. If there is any question, tell anybody that's bothering you that it's an emergency, you nearly went through the last light, and found fluid flowing out of the caliper.

I was towing a travel trailer through Bangor Maine one summer, when a front brake pad decided to separate from the backer, and leave the scene. I did exactly what I suggest, and nobody cared. The other good part of that plan is that you are right there when you discover that you need some additional part to get the job done.

I see this almost every day, son was a manager at an auto zone, they loan tools also.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been able to do minor non messy repair work in various CG. Explain the situation. Ask nicely. Best chances of getting a yes are if you are staying more than a few days & do the work weekdays when the CG is quiet. Had a family member of one CG actually jump in & help in a big way once.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check in rental garages if you still want to do it yourself. That or the parking lot of a vacant business building.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS