RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jane and I are traveling from Southern Illinois, through Wisconsin and on to Duluth, Minnesota. We plan to turn east on Lake Superior's southern shore and visit the Apostle Islands along with the parks, national forests etc along the way. We'd appreciate any advice that you could send along. I'm especially interested in the smoked fish and the local craft beers - along with the landscape of course.

craftyfox

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Tall Ships will be in Duluth Aug 11-13 this year. They are really something to see when under sail. Duluth will be congested and local campgrounds will be pretty crowded during their visit.

click

* This post was edited 05/30/19 07:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Send a lot of time up there, great camping spots both primitive and campgrounds. People are very friendly but one thing... Don't plan on swimming in Lake Superior, it's numbing cold even in the summer. I don't do the smoked fish but the pasties are good.

Last time Amy and I were up there with the TC, finding a camp spot was as easy as pulling in a turnout and setting up camp. Quiet and peaceful.

* This post was edited 05/30/19 07:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Duluth, head for Two Harbors and spend a few nights here. We went by on a day trip and it looked like a very nice campground.

Check the shipping schedule at Duluth and try to catch the lift bridge in operation.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

troy t

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Duluth so I'll try to get you some ideas. We spend a lot of time on the north shore so I don't have a lot to offer for the south shore but there should be plenty of camping along there. Lots of national forest campgrounds.

For craft beer and smoked fish Duluth is awesome. Theres 5-6 breweries in Duluth and Two Harbors, along with some great places to get smoked fish.

Fuller_Johnson

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is municipal campground on the north end of Washburn WI 27 Bucks a night with electric. A township campground at Little Sand Bay North of Red Cliff and my favorite Wanoka Lake National forest campground 7 miles East of Iron River WI. Only a mile from US 2 and 7.50 a night with a Geezer pass, Good Verizon service there. There is Birch Grove NF campground a few miles west of Washburn but No Cell service there.

Dodge 2500 CTD
Dodge 3500 CTD
Sunlite Apache 865
2013 Polaris 850 touring
2016 Polaris 570 SP Ace
Lots of Old Mechanical "Stuff"

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for Two Harbors, Also Grand Maris

The road to the Apostles (Red Cliff) was TERRIBLE. As bad as anything I've experienced including the roads to Alaska. That was fall 2018.

Ashland was really neat looking. I want to visit again when I can stay instead of passing through.

If you have time, visit Ontonagon and also make the drive to Copper Harbor.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both of these State Parks feature waterfalls and campgrounds. Amnicon Falls SP is just east of Superior and Gooseberry Falls SP is not far up the north shore highway. Split Rock Lighthouse has a cool tour. I have a photo of my mom sitting on the back of a 1928 Henderson motorcycle in front of this lighthouse just after it was built.

Amnicon Falls State Park
https://youtu.be/qNwQQTyCM6o

Gooseberry Falls State Park
https://youtu.be/aqXKFHSCh34

Tycoons Zenith Ale House resides in a very old building where my mother got her marriage license when it was the city hall back in 1936. We stopped in for lunch but did not imbibe.

https://youtu.be/FkI058Y15OU

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, these are some great tips. I had forgotten about the pasties. I'll be sure and look them up after I visit the 5-6 breweries in Duluth - all in the interest of putting together a trip report, of course. Thanks!
Keep the ideas coming.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beer is out for me (I'm a non drinking alcoholic) but food is ok. Like I said before, don't do smoked fish I prefer Sardines on white bread.

I think the neatest thing about camping in the UP is being able to pull off the pavement in an unused turnout and set up camp for the night. Of course you have to be self contained but then we are.

Amy and I avoid commercial campgrounds whenever possible. I live in the country (own a farm) so we like our space and no campground provides that for us. If I wanted someone 20 feet away, I'd move to the city. Not moving anytime soon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS