RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
STANG23L

Osceola, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spend allot of time on the south shore. Its still a quite little Gem unlike the busy and crowded north shore. Unfortunately the lake about the highest level its been in a while covering some cool spots.

Hit up Little Nikki's in Cornucopia. They'll have your beer and food needs covered. Then walk across the street to Ehlers and get some fish!

There is a pretty cool campground right on the lake in Herbster. Try to get up and stay there at least once a summer.

Most importantly hit up the beach and marina in Port Wing. Relax and do a bit of swimming if you can stand the cold water.

[image]

Amnicon Falls state park while small is still pretty cool. Longer hikes desired go to Pattison state park (largest falls in WI).

* This post was edited 05/31/19 07:43am by STANG23L *

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We flew to "Dulut" in 1985 to go canoeing in the Boundary Waters. It is a surprisingly charming town. Big old houses on the Lake from the iron ore, shipping, railroads and logging money of long ago.

I really liked the smoked white fish and Ciscos. Linenkugahls was the beer then, but now there must be many more options. I really liked MN and planned to go back but never have.

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STANG23L, thanks for your tips. I was wonderiing about Herbster Campgrounds. Their website says first come - no reservations. We tend to settle down later in the afternoon, but it looks like we'll go there in the morning, get a site, and then travel along the lake.I'll definitely check out Cornucopia, if for nothing else I like the name ;-)

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Porcupine Mountain State Park.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we are just hitting the road. We'll try to make a trip report on our travels. Thanks to everyone for their advice and tips.

DG

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awwww, I'm jealous [emoticon] We've already been up in the 90s and a trip to the Great Lakes area sounds cooooool! We went in 2010 and had a great time. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was very nice. There's a city campground right on the lake just west of Munising, campgrounds in the surrounding forest, and of course campgrounds in Pictured Rocks. Further east is Taquemenon Falls State Park and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point . We didn't make it to the Soo Locks but I've heard they're impressive. You can check out my trip report in the trip report sticky to see other places we visited. We made our trip in a counterclockwise direction, up through Michigan, west along the south shore of Lake Superior, then down through Wisconsin so read it backwards [emoticon] I'm looking forward to your pictures and report!

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Truck Campers for more replies.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved back at the request of the OP.

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new Mod, who is not a TC owner, moved this discussion away from truck campers in the belief that Class A's and diesel pushers would have trip advice useful to TCs. I wrote to tell him that he had cut off my information from the TC community. I see that he has replaced it - after I have returned from my trip.

When I get a chance I'll post some photos and a little write up of the trip.

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, pretty much anywhere a Class A/B/C, Fifth Wheel, or Travel Trailer can go a TC can go but not vice versa [emoticon] The one exception is snooty campgrounds which forbid TCs which I wouldn't want to patronize anyway. Moving the post was an honest effort to get you more feedback but wanting to keep it in the TC forum is understandable. Looking forward to the trip report!

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone know Duluth and Lake Superior Southern Shore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS