RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Supervisors that CANT supervise?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Supervisors that CANT supervise?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do hire people with no people skills, who have a piece of paper that says they re proficient in some field.
I had people with the paper but douldn't do the job. I had a janitor who was over qualified.
The management by stress and tracking by GPS etc are some of the paper people.
I din't have to hold hands of my Employees, and simple mistakes did not earn them check marks or blessing out. And....I had to fight other Employers from stealing them away. We were family...just like the old Ma Bells. People came back to the company to visit and everyone contributed because they wanted their company to be the best. Happy people make lots of money. The new Global Investor owned AT&T is a nightmare where everyone just wants their shift to end.
The noldew ethic is drive the people like horses make them sweat put profits.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last place I worked at had a know it all, you could not have a conversation without him taking over and using big words that he did not undestand and would take over any subject at hand, so his kid was in the boy scouts and he got invited to a camping survival type experience, they had dehidrated food with them and was explaining all his knowledge on this subject, Ed the most senior suddenly asked him if he had dihidrated water and if he knew how it was made, the idiot proceded to give a disertation on dihidrated water, Ed and I laughed so hard that we had to get out of there, guess what month after I retiered they made him a STUPIDVISOR

navegator

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once sat on an evaluation panel reviewing over 200 applicants for a position. We were to winnow the list down to 15-20.
The applicants ranged from a high school dropout with no experience at all to PhDs with 10 years experience. The worst written applications were from the PhDs -- most had gross spelling and grammatical errors, and sentences were so poorly written they were incomprehensible. We shook our our heads wondering how these people ever got their dissertation approved. The job involved communicating and explaining complex projects to other professionals in other fields, so discarding those were easy. The dropout made it through the first cut. Despite his lack of education his application was complete and well written.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In maintenance at a big 3 auto maker for 32 years. The best supervisors I had gave you your job and said 'tell me when you are done.' Some guys took advantage of that and worked very slow so as to not get another job too soon. We all knew who they were. Most worked an honest day and completed their jobs in a timely manner. The worst supervisors were the micro managers, the ones who did not know anything about the job but tried to tell you how to do it. Those guys we worked over with what we called malicious compliance. We did exactly what they told us to do. It never came out well. They at least got moved onto other places.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

Last place I worked at had a know it all, you could not have a conversation without him taking over and using big words that he did not undestand and would take over any subject at hand, so his kid was in the boy scouts and he got invited to a camping survival type experience, they had dehidrated food with them and was explaining all his knowledge on this subject, Ed the most senior suddenly asked him if he had dihidrated water and if he knew how it was made, the idiot proceded to give a disertation on dihidrated water, Ed and I laughed so hard that we had to get out of there, guess what month after I retiered they made him a STUPIDVISOR

navegator

Worked with one of those.
His name was 'Zitter'......we called him 'Bull Zitter'
At the time he was a working stiff like the rest of us.
Bull could & would carry a conversation on anything/everything even when the conversation wasn't inclusive of him.
Then he made supervisor....so he would check in at each of the control rooms during the shift.
When he would come over to control room I was working in I would bring up some off the wall/obscure topic and Bull would proceed to enlighten All.
Except I would excuse myself to go check on such & such out in the plant leaving the on shift control operator trapped with BULL.

Come back later and the Control Operator would chew me out.....jokingly
Course he got even...both of us being qualified as Control Operators....next time BULL came in HE would disappear out into the plant leaving me with BULL
For all those years Bull just thought we were using a play on words of his last name 'Zitter' not knowing it was NOT done with respect for him.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

I think it is a combination of a lack of development of leaders with more of a push of lower paid "supervisors" and people's inability to admit they don't know something.. I don't believe a person has to have done a particular job to be the supervisor of those who do the job, at least for most things. Some technical fields would more likely require someone in a leadership position have experience in the field.

But the breakdown is in the development of the people into leaders. A leader would go into that situation, gather everyone up and make it clear that the people doing the job are the experts and he/she will defer to their training and judgement on the technical aspects of the job. At the same time, the leader will then strive to learn about the job duties, why things are done particular ways, pitfalls, wants of the employees, etc.

They know that I'll be fair and treat them professionally. They know that if they make a mistake and it is an honest mistake, I've got their back with the higher ups and will take the heat for them. They know that if they come up with a good idea, they will get credit for it and if I come up with a good idea, they will still get credit for it as a team.

I agree with this 100%.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Supervisors that CANT supervise?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS