|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Sway issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lonphi49

Berwick

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked out my tires, and it appears i gave inaccurate information, i appologize I have M&S General grabber AT2's max PSI is 44

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

if the door says 35, stay at 35. try to get the trailer as level as possible with nose down better than nose up.

35 PSI says P rated tires, but if yours say 65 PSI then they're LT tires, you're probably way underinflated, verify they're LT tires and inflate to manufacturer spec.

I would think the TPMS light would be on if they were set at the factory at 65 PSI and he only had 35 PSI in the current tires.

Factory tire size for a 2015 F-150 (most) appears to be 265/65R17. Grabber AT2s that size have a load index of 112 (2469 LBS) and a max PSI of 44. I'd be tempted to run the PSI a 40-42 then put more tongue weight on to see it it corrects the issue.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

KC10Chief

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you go getting crazy with $1,000 in new tires, make the simple changes first. 17' isn't a big trailer. Like others have said, get some weight forward. The trailer should be level or slightly nose down. I tow a 29', 8000 pound trailer with my F-150. As an experiment, fill your water tank full and tow it down the highway. See if there's a difference.

2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inflate tires to 5 psi less than max in the cool of morning before it is driven. Also add approx 150 to 200 lbs to tongue weight. Set trailer at level or slightly nose down. It may not be just one thing but in most cases the above will cure the problem. Last thing if above does not cure then change to a TV tire with stiffer walls.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opps

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say a trip to the scales is in order.

Then you will know if you are within the trucks limits and tire limits. You will also know your true tongue weight percentage.

How did you measure the tongue weight?

lonphi49

Berwick

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

measured with a sureline tongue weight scale

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tongue weight, and tires are all important. Also VERY important is getting the hitch adjusted correctly. Are you returning the front end of the TV to the road. Meaning, IF you have it wrong. Your front / steering axles are light, and this cause sway. it causes the steering to be VERY easy, and makes it easy to over steer. If you plant the front axle back onto the road. That will return steering control to the steering wheel.

so check your front measurements un hooked, and hooked up. The front bumper should return at LEAST 1/2 of the distance it raised with out the WDH installed. I prefer it to come back all the way to the unhooked measurement. but that is just me.

read your WDH instructions to find your best measurements. A incorrectly adjusted hitch will get you in trouble. The trailer should not sway in normal driving WITHOUT a sway bar installed. IF it does you have other problems. Fix it, and then add sway control.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove anything from the bumper or ladder at the back or the trailer.

---------------------------------------
2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it’s wallering around, I’ll agree on soft tires or suspension. If it starts a rhythmic fishtail around 60 mph, that’s light tongue weight or more accurately, too much weight aft of the axles. Rear kitchens or rear cargo carriers can quickly throw things out of range. Our travel trailer barely have enough tongue weight empty so they can be advertised as towable by lighter tow vehicles. On some smaller trailers, as little as 100 lbs added behind the axle can create that kind of oscillating sway. I like to set up my hitch so the trailer is slightly nose down. Never nose up. My loading rule is, load anything you can carry as long as it’s placed over or forward of the axles. This rules out a rear kitchen for us. I use as little tension on the WD bars as I can to bring the front about halfway back down to unhitched height. Too much tension on WD bars can cause steering disturbances as well. Minus passing vehicles or strong crosswinds, you should feel no sway even without sway control.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Sway issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS