|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love to be able to use the 6KW quiet diesel in my motorhome as a backup generator at the house. One problem is that the house needs 240V while the generator makes 120V. I have not had good luck finding 120V to 240V transformers. I am not an electrician but I remember something about isolation transformers changing the phase of the current but I don't remember if it is 180 degrees which is needed to make to 240V or only 90 degrees. Anyway, is there anyone out there with experience on this that has a good solution? I would like to be able to supply 4kw at reverse phase in case the load is off balance in the wrong direction.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can feed both 120 volt legs of your house by jumping the one hot leg over to both legs off the house. You will not have 240 volts to power things like the stove, dryer, A/C, but both legs of the house power will be charged with 120 volts.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good solution is to not power any of the 240V items...turn all those breakers off and do the above.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a manual transfer switch: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Con........t-Manual-Transfer-Switch-A510C/206503336

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If and when you rig things so you can use your RV genny for your home, remember that for safety's sake, install a transfer relay or manual switch in your home service. If you don't you WILL back feed power into the utility's grid and that could injure or kill some one. If you don't understand what to do, hire an electrician.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call an electrician. Have him install a Generator lock out to match your house panel. You cannot supply 240 volts from your gen. You will have access to any 120.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

w4phj

Vero Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You can feed both 120 volt legs of your house by jumping the one hot leg over to both legs off the house. You will not have 240 volts to power things like the stove, dryer, A/C, but both legs of the house power will be charged with 120 volts.

X2

2005 Bounder 37U Cat C7 Engine
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you have that is 240 volts and critical? I would thing the fridge a few lights and a few outlets would be fine in an emergency. Furnace should run on 120 power. Retreat to the RV if you need air conditioning or to cook. +1 to get an electrician to look at it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

What do you have that is 240 volts and critical? I would thing the fridge a few lights and a few outlets would be fine in an emergency. Furnace should run on 120 power. Retreat to the RV if you need air conditioning or to cook. +1 to get an electrician to look at it.

AC, furnace and well pump. I don't have any built in fossil fuel heat. Giving out of water would be the most painful.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably easier and not any more expensive to buy a 4K generator that puts out 240V.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS