RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to add support to my Short Queen?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> How to add support to my Short Queen?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I would cut a piece of 1/2 ply and put it on top of the original wood. Or remove the original wood and replace with 1/2 or 5/8 plywood. I doubt you'll overload the original lift supports. If you do overload them they don't break, they just let the bed lower back down. You can buy stronger lift springs on Amazon as well.

I just rebuilt a 1975 Fleetwood Prowler.
I cut 1/2" plywood to fit. Works great.
We like really firm mattresses, so a firm mattress on plywood turned out just right.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your new topper is going to add weight and possibly cause issues with the bed being supported while up anyway. That does not mean you'll need stronger supports... it is easy enough to just move the supports to a steeper angle, while up, to handle the load better. I have done this myself and it works just fine.

I love me some land yachting

cbowie1964

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot express how much I really appreciate every one of your posts. I'm going to do the partition rrupert shared and beef up the board with an overlay or replace it as opnspaces suggested. Thanks for the advice on adjusting the position of the pistons as RedRocket204 suggested and a prop is always a backup.

We actually got an upgraded mattress with the RV it's not the craptastic one that normally comes installed so we are giving the 4" topper a shot. I'll update you with successes and failures.

This is the topper I went with. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF3MOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that doesn't work i'll look at the Zinus that Boomerweps suggested.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem with mine and put a topper on it thinking it was the mattress,but we still rolled together because of the bow in the board underneath. My genset is in the rear so I made a 6 in I beam that supports the board and mattress from the top of the genset compartment. I moved the attach points of the gas struts to compensate for the added weight of the mattress topper. It works well now.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell her she's beautiful and height doesn't matter? [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it helps here's a link to my post in the DIY forum detailing how I extend mine.
Link

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OSB under our 8" memory foam mattress is sagging quite a bit after 5 years and has been getting worse every season. It's ridiculously bowl shaped now. I blame the extra weight of the dog sleeping between us sometimes... [emoticon]

Today I just bought 3 pieces of 1/4" 1.5"x1.5" angle iron and am going to drill some hole in them and attach them to the underside of the OSB. They'll run in a fore/aft and I'll use some 1/4" machine screws. Should be good to dance on after that.

Not that it makes a difference, but only the OSB over the under-bed storage hinges upward. We had a previous TT that had the entire piece of plywood under the mattress hinge up at the head of the bed. With the weight of the memory foam mattress, I had to relocate the attachment points for the gas struts to keep it up when lifted and worked fine after that.

I hate CAPTCHA. It just will not go away...

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 01:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbowie1964 wrote:

We have our brand new Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 212QBW.
You can use the link to see the floor plan.
https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-flight-slx-8-west/212qbw/

The bed is an island short queet. Underneath the bed is the bow storage. By lifting the foot of the bed it will hinge upward and hold by two pistons so you can access the bow storage from inside. Kind of neat.

We are complete newbies and are slowly trying out all the features while it's parked in the driveway so we figure out any major problems before hitting the road.

Recently we slept for the first time in the trailer. No surprise we find the mattress on a board is just too uncomfortable. I've ordered a 4" topper to try and solve that.

My issue I'm trying to address next is the board used under the mattress is a single plank of composite wood. There is no support structure other than the 2" frame of the cabinet/storage area under the bed.

With both my wife and I on the bed there were a couple "pops" in the night from the wood. I did inspect it in the morning and there were no obvious splits or cracks but it drives me to ask how I could reinforce this.

My problem is just putting in a thicker piece of would will likely exceed the lift capacity of the pistons that hold up the bed.

I'm imagining something under the wood on the frame to create support would be the best approach but I'm looking for suggestions.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and what did you find successful?

I would invite you to join the Jayco forums, if you haven't already. There some folks over there who know a lot about Jayco products. You can get there at www.jaycoowners.com/forums/.

I'm one of those who modified my pass through/under bed storage who are in the link to Jayco forums. When I did mine, I kept the old 1/4" or so platform, just cutting it so only the portion over the under bed storage opened. I probably should have gone to 3/8" or 1/2" plywood for the platform, but the original has, to date, served me well.

Some who have added a partition between the pass through and under bed have left the bed platform in it's original length and keep it hinged up at the very top of the bed. I didn't. The portion over the pass through is screwed down permanently. On mine, only the portion of the platform over the under bed storage will lift now.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

DM6156

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 starcraft satellite, the "plush" mattress it came with is anything but (just multiple layers of batting type materials).

I upgraded mattress (tried topper on old one, didn't help much).

Do you really lift up the mattress often to access the area below? I rarely do. If I need anything out of storage, I get it from outside.
The only time I lift my mattress is to winterize.

72cougarxr7

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will second the Zinus short queen from Amazon. Bought a 10" thick one last summer and the wife and I both sleep great on it, and it was priced well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> How to add support to my Short Queen?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS