|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Buying a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are your cons,cons?
Are you a fan boy that needs to show off the latest and greatest?

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Why are your cons,cons?

Latest and greatest? That is not me and that's why I'm considering a '19 model and NOT the latest and greatest.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 years down the road, resale on most any vehicle in general and diesel trucks in particular is influenced most by miles, condition, and whether it is "known" to be reliable or known for having major issues.
Short term resale is more about being latest and greatest.

Trying to predict long term resale with all factors included is akin to trying to pick winning lottery numbers. Better odds than the lottery, but not great odds.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh hell yeah. I'm so happy I got an '18, the '20's are horrendous at best. Some neat new goodies, but nothing even close to enticing me. I did get mine just as the '19's came out and got some discount. But I didn't buy it for resale (though the Duramax equipped models DO hold their value really well as do the high-end trims like the High Country and the Denali, which is what I chose. I may not have push-button start, but my truck turns heads toward it, not away from it. I think GM shot themselves in the foot...again.

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Why are your cons,cons?

So...I must be a 'fanboy' because I got the Denali and every option available? Some do that to show off, but not everyone. I wanted the nicest I could get, as I keep mine 8 to 10 years and no payment. I'm certainly a 'fan' of GMC, but I didn't buy it to show off. Sorry if I hurt your feeling when I drive by, but I worked my ass off for everything I have.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Yes I know it's early and I'm planning ahead.

Kicking the idea of this fall or winter after the new style 2020 HD's come out of picking up a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500 SRW HD Duramax.

I'm on my second Duramax/Allison (2013) and they have been good to me and I still like the looks of the current GM offerings. Ford and Ram are good as well but don't have the appeal to me as much for various reason even though they are all good offerings.

I was planning on and may still end up waiting another three years or so before purchasing a new truck BUT because of the following:

- I won't buy the 2020 generation GM HD trucks.

- I have a concern that maybe I am over thinking and that is the CP4 fuel pump that I have in my current truck and the new Fords and 2019 Rams have. The Chevy/GMC do not currently.

- I generally like to buy new because I can get into a new truck (diesel) for close to or slightly more than a 1-2 year old used one, why buy used if it's nearly the same plus a full warranty. At least that was my experience the last time.

My current truck I purchased for 11K below the sticker price and hopefully can do the same or better now that a new generation is coming out.

Then again maybe with the looks of the upcoming ones it will drive up the demand for the leftovers [emoticon]

Thoughts??

Dan

You asked for thoughts. What is wrong with the truck you got? Why must you replace it this year or in 3?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Why are your cons,cons?

Jealousy at its finest....

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been interested in the new GM's mainly because I could get by with a single rear wheel but would like some cushion in the capacity. Ford or GM both work for me but the new GM 20's look like they will have a little better capacity in the single rear wheel models.

I did a comparison of 19 vs 20 3500 crewcab, single rear wheel, standard (short bed) diesel. Not sure if this is enough to change your mind on the 19 vs 20 debate but it does appear GM has stepped up the capacities some. The wheelbase increases from 153.7 to 158.9. GVWR goes from 11,500 to 12,100 (I did see 12,250 and 12,500 also but going with the lowest). The GCWR goes from 25,100 to 29,700. The bed length goes from 78.86 to 82.2 inches. Couldn't find anything on the 19's but the 20's can tow up to a 21,300 pound fifth wheel. Mine weighs 15,500.

The pricing is also now available. I priced out a 2020 Denali on nadaguides.com. Ouch but I said ouch when I got the Ford, twice.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 05 is sitting in our garage waiting for the trip south and I can't wait to drive it again. Can't get excited to keep up with anybody

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

Yes I know it's early and I'm planning ahead.

Kicking the idea of this fall or winter after the new style 2020 HD's come out of picking up a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500 SRW HD Duramax.

I'm on my second Duramax/Allison (2013) and they have been good to me and I still like the looks of the current GM offerings. Ford and Ram are good as well but don't have the appeal to me as much for various reason even though they are all good offerings.

I was planning on and may still end up waiting another three years or so before purchasing a new truck BUT because of the following:

- I won't buy the 2020 generation GM HD trucks.

- I have a concern that maybe I am over thinking and that is the CP4 fuel pump that I have in my current truck and the new Fords and 2019 Rams have. The Chevy/GMC do not currently.

- I generally like to buy new because I can get into a new truck (diesel) for close to or slightly more than a 1-2 year old used one, why buy used if it's nearly the same plus a full warranty. At least that was my experience the last time.

My current truck I purchased for 11K below the sticker price and hopefully can do the same or better now that a new generation is coming out.

Then again maybe with the looks of the upcoming ones it will drive up the demand for the leftovers [emoticon]

Thoughts??

Dan

You asked for thoughts. What is wrong with the truck you got? Why must you replace it this year or in 3?

Nothing wrong with current truck, great shape and gets the job done. Though there are some nice changes with the '20's I'm not crazy about them overall. Just thinking there may be a deal to be had on leftover 19's not only being end of year but an "old" generation that may be worth the jump. If I can't score a nice deal that's worth it I'll wait a few years for the bugs to be worked out and bypass the Chevy and consider the GMC that's all.

Dan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Buying a leftover 2019 Chevy or GMC 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS