|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Drawing water from a lake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

Soon, my current TT will be up on blocks at a seasonal site. There is no water system at the park. Because of this, I plan to fill my fresh water tank with lake water.

How can I do this to ensure safe drinking water.

Micheal ... as OP, above is your opening issue.

Here's an article that tells how to deal with it:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinkin......../travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

Boiling, filtration, and disinfection are the methods.

he asked, he received, but he didn't receive what he wanted to hear.
bumpy

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He really just wanted to see how many pages he could get a topic to last.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

pnichols wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

Soon, my current TT will be up on blocks at a seasonal site. There is no water system at the park. Because of this, I plan to fill my fresh water tank with lake water.

How can I do this to ensure safe drinking water.

Micheal ... as OP, above is your opening issue.

Here's an article that tells how to deal with it:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinkin......../travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

Boiling, filtration, and disinfection are the methods.

he asked, he received, but he didn't receive what he wanted to hear.
bumpy

I didn't expect to hear the fear.

I have received some great advice that I will do.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

The fact that most of this is fear of potable water is not me doing it.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

pauldub wrote:

The fact that most of this is fear of potable water is not me doing it.

Micheal ... just as a matter of full discloser ... we don't drink from the water in our RV's fresh water tank no matter how it's been "treated". We carry along separate water for drinking.

Our rig sits a lot between trips and I don't trust what may grow in the fresh water tank after the chlorine that I put in the fresh water tank has dissipated. Our RV's kitchen sink has an inline filter that hopefully makes the sink's water a little safer to use for cooking ... in addition to what chlorine may be still active in the main fresh water tank before the water reaches this filter.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Our rig sits a lot between trips and I don't trust what may grow in the fresh water tank after the chlorine that I put in the fresh water tank has dissipated.

Drain it between trips

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

OP here. The water is safe to drink. I just want to make sure it doesn't have anything in it that could cause issues, such as sand, debris and of course the bacteria and viruses.

What does that mean?

Who told you that the water is safe. Do you trust that source with your life?

I'd go with a coarse filter, fine filter, RO membrane and then UV. Might want a high pressure booster pump for the RO if the water is high in TDS.

Yes I trust the source with my life. I have drank it many times with no issues. The issue I am concerned with is it sitting in a tank and pipes for a period of time.

Theres no such thing as Santa Claus or ‘safe’ lake water, else you might be another winner of the Darwin Award:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/index.html

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camped for a few years at Lake of the Woods Canada and they got their water from the lake. Everyone drank it. I noticed my water flow into the MH was getting slow so I removed the filter and found it was full of jelly like substance. Kind of looked like many small jelly fish some darker than others. This was at a FHU camp ground but don't know if they filtered it first before the hookup at the campsite.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I camped for a few years at Lake of the Woods Canada and they got their water from the lake. Everyone drank it. I noticed my water flow into the MH was getting slow so I removed the filter and found it was full of jelly like substance. Kind of looked like many small jelly fish some darker than others. This was at a FHU camp ground but don't know if they filtered it first before the hookup at the campsite.
Did it look anything like this? This was on our city water inlet after an early season camping trip. It's a result of the CG failing to flush their water piping system out after sitting stagnant all winter. Chlorine levels dissipate over time to the point that organisms present can flourish and multiply. I spoke to the head of the local gov't water district and was told it was a harmless biomass. May not be harmful but it sure doesn't look appealing and isn't something I really want to ingest. I installed a fancy filter setup shortly after that...

Do they treat the water with chlorine or with any other method? If not, organisms could grow. Filters may have little effect, depending on micron rating and if they maintain them. It takes only one bacterial cell to multiply too. Warmer temps and water sitting for long periods make it an opportunity for "stuff" to grow in the water as well.

I will not use water from any unfamiliar source while away camping without using filtration. RV-ing is unique in that you can't test the water everywhere you go and typically you won't know how water is treated. Water from a municipal system is no guarantee the water is good.

[image]

* This post was edited 06/11/19 01:12pm by myredracer *

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

There are freshwater jellyfish.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=1068
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craspedacusta_sowerbii

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Drawing water from a lake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS