|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Drawing water from a lake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I camped for a few years at Lake of the Woods Canada and they got their water from the lake. Everyone drank it. I noticed my water flow into the MH was getting slow so I removed the filter and found it was full of jelly like substance. Kind of looked like many small jelly fish some darker than others. This was at a FHU camp ground but don't know if they filtered it first before the hookup at the campsite.

There are freshwater jellyfish.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=1068
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craspedacusta_sowerbii

Are they tasty?

Was thinking of some Sesame and Coriander crusted Craspedacusta, grilled on a pressure treated plank.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Refer to William Claude Dukenfield's famous statement about drinking 'water'

BillJackson1

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which is the best product among those listed in this site?
***Link Removed***

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post

* This post was edited 06/13/19 07:49am by Gjac *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I camped for a few years at Lake of the Woods Canada and they got their water from the lake. Everyone drank it. I noticed my water flow into the MH was getting slow so I removed the filter and found it was full of jelly like substance. Kind of looked like many small jelly fish some darker than others. This was at a FHU camp ground but don't know if they filtered it first before the hookup at the campsite.
Did it look anything like this? This was on our city water inlet after an early season camping trip. It's a result of the CG failing to flush their water piping system out after sitting stagnant all winter. Chlorine levels dissipate over time to the point that organisms present can flourish and multiply. I spoke to the head of the local gov't water district and was told it was a harmless biomass. May not be harmful but it sure doesn't look appealing and isn't something I really want to ingest. I installed a fancy filter setup shortly after that...

Do they treat the water with chlorine or with any other method? If not, organisms could grow. Filters may have little effect, depending on micron rating and if they maintain them. It takes only one bacterial cell to multiply too. Warmer temps and water sitting for long periods make it an opportunity for "stuff" to grow in the water as well.

I will not use water from any unfamiliar source while away camping without using filtration. RV-ing is unique in that you can't test the water everywhere you go and typically you won't know how water is treated. Water from a municipal system is no guarantee the water is good.

[image]
The organisms were smaller and more clear like CFurguson posted but some brown like your photo. No one in the CG got sick from drinking the water most people have been going to the same CG since they were kids. My canister was half full when I changed it.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillJackson1 wrote:

Which is the best product among those listed in this site?
***Link Removed***

Here are the filters I use on the end of a potable-water-rated hose when filling our RV's fresh water tank while on RV trips: https://www.campingworld.com/tastepure-water-filters-2-pack-90936.html

When filling the fresh water tank at home before a trip I don't use the above filters, but do add 3-4 oz. of chlorine into the tank to sanitize the whole RV fresh system for the trip.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep in mind one-cell critters laugh at any chlorine dosage short of public swimming pool strength.

There are point-two-micron filters available that should do the trick for critters, viruses, and bacteria.

I have two covered 3000-liter concrete tanks that dose with a gallon of bleach. The lower one is for dishwashing the upper one for showering. Adding the bleach reduced skin infections by 90% and the lower one dashes to the bano by 100%

All store produce gets a dunking in a 5-gallon bucket and so does raw chicken which when untreated should be classified as a biohazard. The improvement in refrigerator shelf life is an eye-opener.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So no one on this thread watched "The Last Alaskans"? People on there draw and drink water from lakes and rivers all the time.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

So no one on this thread watched "The Last Alaskans"? People on there draw and drink water from lakes and rivers all the time.

OH, that proves it. to the OP, a great idea to drink your lake water.
bumpy

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

OH, that proves it. to the OP, a great idea to drink your lake water.
bumpy
[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Drawing water from a lake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS