|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House Battery Maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Retired VSP

Bedford, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased two 12 volt conventional bouse batteries. (Duracell Ultra 1 year warranty) What can I do get the most out of these batteries. I leave the mh parked at Hilton Head for about 3 months during the winter unattended. I keep the water levels checked and frequently charge them most of the rest of the year. I had one year conventional Interstate before that lasted less than 3 years. Disappointed.

I need advise on routine maintenance. I've read the web advise and that is somewhat helpful but I would like to read some of your experiences. I had a tendency to overfill with my last batteries. I read where deep cycles should last 4-7 years. Wow! Thanks for any advise.

And which batteryminder is appropriate for the 12 volt deep cycle lead acid battery. Thanks.

* This post was edited 06/05/19 12:31pm by Retired VSP *

Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time, get 2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco or Sam's Club and wire them in series. Same price as 12 volts, but, with maintanence, will last much longer. You can get the battery watering kits that will let you keep them full with a couple pumps on a squeeze bulb so you never have to open the caps. The golf cart batteries are the most bang for the buck and are true deep cycle, unlike a lot of the RV/boat batteries out there. If they will be "unattended" for 3 months, just fully charge and do not put a trickle charger on them. Last thing you want to happen is for them to boil dry over 3 months. Sitting unused for that length of time is tough on any battery but that will make the best of it.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice is next time get AGMs. They have very little self-discharge and don't need watering. When sitting, just disconnect them.

And why is this in Dinghy Towing?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Add a modest solar system with a good temperature compensated charge controller. My marine batteries from Walmart lasted over nine years.

My current telecom AGM jars are 5 years old and still just fine.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the advice to buy true deep cycle golf cart batteries. There are no 12 volt batteries that will perform nearly as well in this application.

Other than that, keeping the batteries connected to a BatteryMinder whenever possible will help prolong their life. These chargers pulse the battery after their fully charged to prevent the sulfation that kills batteries. The cheapest place to buy them I've found is Northern Tools - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

[image]

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT Towed - BX1648 Baseplate
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

I second the advice to buy true deep cycle golf cart batteries. There are no 12 volt batteries that will perform nearly as well in this application.

Other than that, keeping the batteries connected to a BatteryMinder whenever possible will help prolong their life. These chargers pulse the battery after their fully charged to prevent the sulfation that kills batteries. The cheapest place to buy them I've found is Northern Tools - https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

[image]

You don't have to keep the charger going continuously, just plugin for a day or two every month.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water: Water level s/b 1/4" to 1/8" below the split ring that extends down into the cell. Just touching is absolute max and even then may cause some electrolyte to be pushed out of the cell causing corrosion. Check levels every 4 months. More in high use or high temperature conditions.

Charging: Getting the battery to 100% tip top charged before storage is very important. Voltage needs to be 14.4 to 14.8 volts on the battery terminals 2 to 4+ hours to get a full charge. What are your charging voltages?

Float charge in the 13.2 to 13.4 range. Temperature compensated is best in climate extremes. If you cannot float charge... give them a good charging 24 hrs and then disconnect a cable. Clean the battery tops as dirt/crud will conduct and discharge the battery.

Careful how you handle the terminals during installation. Too much twisting or banging can cause the seal around the terminal to break and contribute to corrosion of the terminals.

Don't overly discharge the battery. Down to 12.2 volts or about 50% is time for a heavy recharge with 14.4 volts for at least 3 to 4 hours. OK to charge more often when in use.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Retired VSP

Bedford, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone...good advice for sure.....

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

You don't have to keep the charger going continuously, just plugin for a day or two every month.

That is assuming that you don't have any significant parasitic loads....AND that they aren't old enough to have a significant self-discharge rate.

If you have a good, well designed maintenance charger, there is no reason to NOT leave it connected 24/7......if you have access to shore power.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The BatteryMinder float charger is meant to be left on the battery ALL THE TIME! That's what it's designed for! It constantly pulses the battery to ensure sulfation doesn't occur. Read up on them, you'll be surprised! I get 5 years or more out of my riding lawnmower 1 year batteries with no problems using one that's left connected to the battery any time the mower isn't in use - summer and winter.

They never boil any of the water out of the batteries. It sounds like Rupert isn't knowledgeable about "Float" chargers. They don't taper down when the battery's full, they stop charging and monitor the battery till it needs another boost.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House Battery Maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS