|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Bunk house conundrum and older kids

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not in the same "boat" as the OP, I have a similar situation. My 78 YO mother travels with us and has her lower bunk, while I also have a 12 and 13 YO. My current trailer is a Coleman 274BH, no slide on it, but the rear bunks are roomy and so far has worked out the past three years. Both my kids have outgrown the jack knife sofa. Pretty goofy sized one, 12" of arms take up a lot of room, so contemplated upgrading to a larger one with a slide while keeping to the same GVWR as the current one.

Well I did find one that fit the bill, but is $10K more than what I paid for the one I have now, so would have to first sell mine rather than take a hit on trade, then of course purchase the new one, spend more money to outfit it, because we all know what worked on one, may not work on the other, and then of course timing. The weather this spring was so bad I couldn't get it out of storage, and when I finally did, the weather prevented me from working on it to get it all cleaned up and ready to sell.

So after all that back and forth and everything, I did the next best thing, replaced that worthless Jack Knife with a much longer one. Trailer is good for a few more years for us. [emoticon] The sofa is rather comfortable to sleep on, so what I suggest is find a trailer you can live with for a while that has a nice sofa bed. Some of those are pull out too. If you can make it work and be happy, go for it.

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going out later this week to look at a trailer that I think will fit our needs and make everyone happy. It is a Crossroads Sunset Trail 33BD. It has a dedicated bunkroom that has 2 bunks and sofa. That arrangement should fit our daughter as well as the occasional adult guests and it can also be used as a second TV room or a reading room for us if we are traveling alone.. The living area has opposed slides so even though we are losing some living space length due to the bunk house I think the extra width will still make the trailer feel big enough for the wife and I to be able to spend extended time together without being at each others throats. I do wish the master had a slide but at least it does feature a full size queen and not a shorty. Fingers crossed this is the one.

2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288 (purchasing)
2017 Ram 2500 6.4
2016 Heritage Glen 263RL (sold)
2012 Komfort 3530 (sold)
2008 Keystone Sprinter (DOA)
014 Ram 3500 6.7 (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Bunk house conundrum and older kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS