RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Rear-Living TTs: Likes, dislikes, features, models...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rear-Living TTs: Likes, dislikes, features, models...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at a rear-living travel trailer (28 to 30 ft range) and even have a model in mind...

However, my objective here is discussion. I am not looking for directions to the search feature, nor the blow-off-no-discussion suggestion to "go shopping and figure out what's important to you" (We have done exactly that).

The real question is "What model do you have- what do you especially like about it, is there anything you dislike, and the biggie- what did you learn that you like, or wish that you had done different, or weren't sure then but are sure now...that sort of stuff.

It’s a fact that you learn some things AFTER you make the purchase: Sometimes pleasant surprises, sometimes some minor disappointments.

At risk of derailing the thread- our first camper (a 27 ft half-bunk house) had no slide out...A decision that SEEMED so wise beforehand...turned out to be slightly wrong afterwards- LOL

Always appreciate those here willing to have the beer + fireside, compare & contrast story telling!

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, first of all, you need a bigger truck and LT tires on the TT, lol... [emoticon]

I don't know if all rear living TTs are the same, but our first TT (also with no slide - big negative) had a large picture window at the back but was a rear dinette. Man, I really miss that picture window. I'd be looking for a TT with a large picture window. Lotsa light and a GREAT view.

I don't know about rear living units, but if a particular layout makes the TW heavier, I would be choosing that because more TW is better for sway control than less TW (if the TV can handle it okay). We have almost 15% and don't have sway, but have a good WDH and a few other things that help.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Well, first of all, you need a bigger truck and LT tires on the TT, lol... [emoticon]

I specifically DID NOT ASK FOR THIS SORT OF INFORMATION

BUT, LOL and Thanks AND humor totally appreciated! :-)

Thanks also for the window and no-slide comments.

* This post was edited 06/06/19 03:27pm by K3WE *

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an Open Range 5th wheel, and this also applies to TTs. We were choosing between the one we bought and a Grand Design of similar size and features, and what we didn't even think about is which side the dinette is on (which will have many windows). Our Open Range happened to have it on the door side and the other one had the dinette on the driver's side. It would have been disappointing to be looking at the neighbor's campsite all the time.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 110 Nights

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The queen has been looking at rear living TT's for over a year which forced me into doing research in case I can not talk her out of it.

It started when she seen her co workers Heritage Glen Hyperlyte 26RLHL. That would be my choice if I had to make it, and pay for it.

Then she went to the Grand Design Imagine 2500RL. I'll divorce her. Not buying anything with the fridge in the slideout, and anything larger than a ward slide with Schwintek. I personally thought the ones we looked at, around 1/2 a dozen at dealers and Hershey last Sept, were built like **** compared to the Heritage Glen.

I think now she's hung on the Jayco 28RL. I have not seen one in person yet but it's about 3' longer overall than the 2 above.

The one thing I keep in the back of my mind is I would not want any without 2 entry doors, looked at a couple with the single door although I forget the brands.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Rockwood 2604. We like the rear living arrangement, as the view to the back is often better than the view to the front. We really wanted the 2 rocking chairs along with the sofa, but quickly found that the chairs had to be moved each time the slide was retracted. One had to be turned upside down and strapped to the sofa. We got rid of the two chairs, and found 1 rocking recliner that can be slid toward the door to make room for the slide. It's sill somewhat of a pain, but better than having two. If I had it to do over, I would probably still go with this model, as everything else is laid out to our satisfaction.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2017: 41
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Draggo

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After having various other layouts for 15 years we went to a rear living model last year and love the large windows (lots of light). One thing we aren't thrilled with but it's livable is having the door right near the back of the trailer about 1' in from the edge of the awning. You have to be careful about leaving it open in a rain storm because it's not as protected as it is when it's in the middle of the trailer.

Mike & Company
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (5.3L V-8, 3.42 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC, Prodigy brake controller

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to post this on the Travel Trailer forum instead of the General forum.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

You might want to post this on the Travel Trailer forum instead of the General forum.

Since it's been moved, I see zero replies, but if you say so.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rear-Living TTs: Likes, dislikes, features, models...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS