|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Tires For A Brand New Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the "China bomb" Tow Max tires on our first TT and had zeros issues with them in 5 years. Lots of people on the Jayco owners forum recommended replacing them but we hauled that camper to Arkansas, across Missouri and to Colorado and back in the middle of summer and they held up well.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, save your hard earned cash and use what the trailer comes with. Keep them inflated to the cold PSI on the sidewall, don't drive faster than the tires rating, usually but not always 65 mph with ST tires, and don't overload the tires.

We have 6 yo Tow Max on our trailer, the tires that came with. No issues. I'm running them one more short trip and plan to change them this summer.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are American made tires, I would run then to six years based on the sidewall date. If they are Chinese, I'd replace immediately.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the brand, size and model of tires here for some better advice.

NO reason to throw away perfectly good tires.

The pressure and tread wear should be inspected before (or after) each trip. Keeping the pressure up to the recommendation is critical.

IF...this really worries you that much, try to negotiate better tires in the purchase deal.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Abbadox, realize tire opinions vary as wildly as......every other opinion.
From swearing off Chinese tires to living and dying by the use of LT tires to running tires for x number of years.
A guy cant say run for 5 or 6 years definitively, because conditions are so variable. A tire that sits in the sun in the southwest will age FAR quicker than one that is garaged most of the year between uses.
Generally a "cheap" tire is cheaper for a reason but that doesn't mean it won't work.
Some like to have belt and suspenders and an elastic waist band. Other are ok as long as their pants don't fall down and others yet are ok with some plumbers crack!

But unless something is weird or you plan on extreme use, no reason to expect new(er) tires that haven't been on the road won't do the job for a while.
14&15" trailer tires are cheap and don't fetch much used. $100 a tire giver take is what most sell for. Selling newish cheapo tires may get you $200 and you'll spend $100 in mount and balance to swap them out. For the $100 net return on the old tires and the extra $100 you'll spend for quality tires, its a wash. Run the cheap tires for a while and get some use out of them.

Example, I bought a newer used utility trailer to move a bunch of stuff to AK. IDK, couple years old, barely used. Had the cheapest possible tires on it. Bias ply.
Trailer loaded heavy, hauled butt to AK, wore half the tread off the tires (not sure how, but they were seriously worn 2500 miles later). They worked and I got my moneys worth out of them. If one popped, that's why I had a spare. Since we wuz going to AK, I took 2 spares.
Last year bought a new cargo trailer on the other side of the country to haul some stuff back to WA. Loaded that little trailer with china tires to the gills, drove 80+mph back to WA. 2000miles later they were fine.
"Most" "issues" with trailer tires, IMO, are a product of age, road damage, pressure, severely overloaded (maybe 1 axle of a tandem on torsion axles is overloaded and the owner doesn't recognize it type of situation) or, in the past, if they said Marathon on the side lol.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought our 07 Cherokee and within 1 year I had to replace a tire with a shifter belt with the spare. In that time of looking for a tire another tire shifted a belt. So I replaced all 4 maxed out “D” rated tires with quality “E” rated tires. And mind you this trailer had an 11,200lb GVWR and it had “D” rated tires that were maxed out at the axle ratings. When I replaced them with E’s I had a big cushion per tire and never lost a tire again.

If they are junk replace them. You don’t want to be stuck in the side of the road with “good enough tires”!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going on season three with our OEM Rainier Chinese tires on our Jayco TT. So far they’re doing very well. Keep them covered, aired up, off the curbs and out of the gutters.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Am I foolish to expect this much or ?"

Yup! Check the date on each and every tire.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Abbadox wrote:

I have been watching YouTube and a couple of the videos are recomending getting new tires or upgraded tires when you buy a new or used RV.

There are also dumb-asses on Youtube that burn holes in their arms with cigarettes. One even douses his fresh wound with urine.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last trailer I bought new i had the tires about 7 years before I replaced them. Current trailer i bought new, this is the 4th season and they still have zero sign of aging or wear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Tires For A Brand New Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS