|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RonRN18

Roseville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

RonRN18 wrote:

When we purchased the trailer, our dealer offered a standard 12V lead-acid battery or as an upgrade, two 6V GC2 deep-cycle lead-acid batteries. I went with the upgraded 6V batteries.

I don't want the process to be so frequent it becomes a pain in the behind, nor do I want it to be so infrequent, I end up damaging the batteries.

Too late now but you could have avoided this entire issue by investing in a pair of AGM batteries, whether 6 volt or 12 volt, and enjoyed not having to maintain them at all other than proper recharging of course.

I could have also gotten a pair of Battle Born LiPO4 batteries too... had I wanted to spend more money. For the money, I knew there would be some maintenance, but for half the price, I get more battery, it only requires more maintenance. As I said, I'm new with RVing, my plan is to learn as much as possible over the next few years. Learn what I like, learn what I don't like. I research as much as possible but sometimes you just have to experience things. I use forums like this to gain some insight into others' experiences to answer questions I can't find through research and hopefully without wasting too much money. I ultimately plan on purchasing a bigger, nicer RV in 5-10 years, based on what I'm learning now. I will continue researching and keeping tabs on electrical technologies. I would love to buy some of those 100Ah LiPO4 batteries but I believe it would be a waste at this point.

My goal in asking the initial question was is this something that needs to be inspected after a set period of time, regardless of use or after a certain number of operational hours/days. In my research, this is never addressed.

2016 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew FX4 with 5.0L V8
2019 Mesa Ridge 2410RL travel trailer

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new lead plate 12V Deep Cycle batteries are sealed. No checking water levels. I asked and was told...nope...no longer done.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLA 6V batteries will lose electrolyte during charging. I would suggest to start with a three month interval and observe levels within the cells. Usage and temperature dictates electrolyte loss so there is no standard interval. My 6V's tend to use up more electrolyte as they are charging off a solar panel each day. I check them about every three months for the correct level.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RonRN18

Roseville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

FLA 6V batteries will lose electrolyte during charging. I would suggest to start with a three month interval and observe levels within the cells. Usage and temperature dictates electrolyte loss so there is no standard interval. My 6V's tend to use up more electrolyte as they are charging off a solar panel each day. I check them about every three months for the correct level.

Thanks. This is the nearest I’ve had to an answer. It is also close to what I was expecting, but wanted to hear it from someone with experience.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS