|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Engine torque

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Horsepower is the measure of work that an engine can do. With both trucks having about the same horsepower, they both will get to the top of the mountain in the same time. Those that won't run an engine at the RPM necessary to develop the required power will complain and comment on lack of torque. High torque engines will actually work bearings, pistons, clutches and gear teeth harder than a lower torque engine running faster.
I do all the driving in our truck. For 7 years I've been used to WOT or near it much of the time up mountain roads to maintain a good speed (up to 65 mph). Never worried about the RPMs in the V10. I won't be concerned about high RPMs in the GM V8. I don't think I've ever been passed by a TT or FW up a 6% or steeper

I haven't got many miles on the new truck yet but it does seem to shift differently, nicer and more smoothly than the F250 did. I couldn't seem to get the tow/haul mode to work tho. Maybe it's different than the way it works in a Ford? I would expect it to work the same. I often used it to downshift without the trailer down hills or when slowing down.

The GM truck also has a pair of +/- buttons next to the tow/haul button. Similar to a paddle shift (I think) but they don't do anything either. Not sure if there's a trick to this? I love the paddle shift in DW's Subaru and I drive her car like a sports car downshifting in corners and down hills. (She gets so annoyed, haha). It would be nice to have the +/- buttons working in the truck.

Why did the V10 blow up? I have no idea, but could be related to the total hours on it. I did look at the hours on the engine a few years ago but can't remember what it was. I had an Alfa Romeo years ago that spun a bearing and had rod knock. If you've ever heard rod knock, it's a distinctive sound. I think that could have happened in the V10. Maybe if I had shut the engine off immediately when I suspected that, it could have been saved. But I just didn't expect that and whatever it was, it all happened so fast. The mechanic was able to start the engine to move it but even a tiny bit of throttle made it rattle like the crank was sitting in a pile of nuts 'n bolts. I suspect a rod cap bolt or even cap may have broken. Still, the oil pressure was showing good up to the end.

I so loved that V10 and it will be sorely missed. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/08/19 11:46am by myredracer *

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2001 Tahoe and all the tow/haul button did was delay upshifts a bit. No braking and downshifting to help control speed.
My Ford diesel really is uncanny how it controls speed.
Best to visit the owners manual, the tow/haul feature varies considerably between brands, years and options.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most if not all newer diesels trucks have hour meters, it is a good idea to look at that as well as actual miles when purchasing used. Not sure if the gas trucks do.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Most if not all newer diesels trucks have hour meters, it is a good idea to look at that as well as actual miles when purchasing used. Not sure if the gas trucks do.
Our F250, an '09, had an hour meter that was accessible through the speedo menu button. Not sure how common this is?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To use the +/- on our 2014 Yukon, you pull the column shifter past D to M.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have an infinitely variable transmission an engine needs to deliver power to the transmission over a range of rpm. The power the engine is capable of making over that rpm range is described by the HP and torque specifications. Torque at rpm is power. If two engines make identical peak horsepower at 4800 rpm but have different peak torque numbers, the engine with the higher torque is the more powerful engine and will pull better.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Unless you have an infinitely variable transmission an engine needs to deliver power to the transmission over a range of rpm. The power the engine is capable of making over that rpm range is described by the HP and torque specifications. Torque at rpm is power. If two engines make identical peak horsepower at 4800 rpm but have different peak torque numbers, the engine with the higher torque is the more powerful engine and will pull better.

Nope, identical power. Yes, there can be minor differences depending on the torque curve and gearing, but all this is hypothetical.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Nope, identical power.

You are correct sir. Yep, identical power.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Nope, identical power. Yes, there can be minor differences depending on the torque curve and gearing, but all this is hypothetical.

The engines I describe are hypothetical but the principle is that higher torque engines are better in tow vehicles when compared to similar powered lower torque engines especially when the rear axle ratio is left the same.... the lower revving engine will make better use of its transmission.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

To use the +/- on our 2014 Yukon, you pull the column shifter past D to M.
That was it, thanks! I can see that being a useful feature.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Engine torque
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS