RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Engine torque

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Engine torque

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/07/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

myredracer wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:



As far as the V10 goes. You got a dud. The V10 is a great engine. You can pound on those things 24/7 and they won't blow up. Like I said, you got a dud.
The history on this engine was that the F250 was leased by one of the major oil companies in Alberta - Sunoco IIRC. It was run out of Calgary up to the oil fields in the north. The odometer didn't show a lot of miles but I *think* it had a lot of hours on it because they keep them idling in the winter all the time instead of using block heaters. Records showed it was serviced regularly but maybe the oilfield workers were driving the sn*t out of the truck as well. That's all we know on the history.

We did get a good price when we bought it so can't complain to a point.


I avoid Oil patch trucks like the plague. Even had used truck salesmen warn me off buying them. Yeah, not a lot of miles but not a lot of care or concern from the drivers either.


Truth.... I learned about it by buying one..... Low miles but ridden very hard.


2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....


danrclem

Ky.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/25/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/07/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have any experience with either but I doubt you'll feel much difference since you're only pulling 7,000 lbs.

Bedlam

PNW

Moderator

Joined: 06/13/2012

View Profile






Posted: 06/07/19 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from an engine with 325 hp and 570 LB-ft running 3.73 gearing to 33” tires to 325 hp and 750 LB-ft running 4.44’s to 31” tires. Although the new truck is 3000 lbs heavier, it holds speed better than the former one but accelerates slower.

* This post was edited 06/08/19 09:57am by Bedlam *


Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200


colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 06/08/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

gmckenzie wrote:

myredracer wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:



As far as the V10 goes. You got a dud. The V10 is a great engine. You can pound on those things 24/7 and they won't blow up. Like I said, you got a dud.
The history on this engine was that the F250 was leased by one of the major oil companies in Alberta - Sunoco IIRC. It was run out of Calgary up to the oil fields in the north. The odometer didn't show a lot of miles but I *think* it had a lot of hours on it because they keep them idling in the winter all the time instead of using block heaters. Records showed it was serviced regularly but maybe the oilfield workers were driving the sn*t out of the truck as well. That's all we know on the history.

We did get a good price when we bought it so can't complain to a point.


I avoid Oil patch trucks like the plague. Even had used truck salesmen warn me off buying them. Yeah, not a lot of miles but not a lot of care or concern from the drivers either.


Truth.... I learned about it by buying one..... Low miles but ridden very hard.
The company I worked for the trucks were not run hard but had a unbelievable amount of hours idling. Depending on projects some of these trucks idled winter and summer through multiple shifts.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/08/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsepower is the measure of work that an engine can do. With both trucks having about the same horsepower, they both will get to the top of the mountain in the same time. Those that won't run an engine at the RPM necessary to develop the required power will complain and comment on lack of torque. High torque engines will actually work bearings, pistons, clutches and gear teeth harder than a lower torque engine running faster.





Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Horsepower is the measure of work that an engine can do. With both trucks having about the same horsepower, they both will get to the top of the mountain in the same time. Those that won't run an engine at the RPM necessary to develop the required power will complain and comment on lack of torque. High torque engines will actually work bearings, pistons, clutches and gear teeth harder than a lower torque engine running faster.


So diesels should be avoided by this logic?
Since the V10 has two more pistons and an extra main bearing the stress is probably handled well. Actually, both engines have excellent reputations, just different ways of getting there. I do sympathize with finding high RPM objectionable but that depends on how well the engine's sounds are contained. With each new generation of engine that I have purchased I have noticed a drop in objectionable sounds and am willing to run more RPM.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/08/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Horsepower is the measure of work that an engine can do. With both trucks having about the same horsepower, they both will get to the top of the mountain in the same time. Those that won't run an engine at the RPM necessary to develop the required power will complain and comment on lack of torque. High torque engines will actually work bearings, pistons, clutches and gear teeth harder than a lower torque engine running faster.


So diesels should be avoided by this logic?
Since the V10 has two more pistons and an extra main bearing the stress is probably handled well. Actually, both engines have excellent reputations, just different ways of getting there. I do sympathize with finding high RPM objectionable but that depends on how well the engine's sounds are contained. With each new generation of engine that I have purchased I have noticed a drop in objectionable sounds and am willing to run more RPM.


I actually have a diesel, but thinking torque is a big deal and that there is no downside is not true.

Marcela

Kansas

Full Member

Joined: 07/08/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all about horsepower. Torque is a value used to compute horsepower. Horsepower is the amount of work in time. The formula for torque does not involve time. I personally live in time. Because of the nature of gasoline and diesel engines, they make torque at different RPM's, which effects where the horsepower is made. People think cause an engine is rolling over at 1600 rpm making max horsepower cause the torque curve starts at idle and stops at 2300 rpm it is a much stronger engine then another making the power at higher rpm where it's higher torque curve is located. Ain't so, just different rpm band, and different characteristics, and whatever people want to believe.

twodownzero

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Horsepower is the measure of work that an engine can do. With both trucks having about the same horsepower, they both will get to the top of the mountain in the same time. Those that won't run an engine at the RPM necessary to develop the required power will complain and comment on lack of torque. High torque engines will actually work bearings, pistons, clutches and gear teeth harder than a lower torque engine running faster.


This is exactly right. The person above who says "nothing" will make up for the 100 lb-ft of torque apparently doesn't have a transmission and can't just downshift, which will more than make up for that 100 lb-ft and then some.

Groover wrote:

So diesels should be avoided by this logic?
Since the V10 has two more pistons and an extra main bearing the stress is probably handled well. Actually, both engines have excellent reputations, just different ways of getting there. I do sympathize with finding high RPM objectionable but that depends on how well the engine's sounds are contained. With each new generation of engine that I have purchased I have noticed a drop in objectionable sounds and am willing to run more RPM.


If you haven't noticed, diesel redlines are something like 30% higher than they were 20-30 years ago and that has contributed to them having nearly 3x as much horsepower on tap as they once had. A 12v Cummins in a '94 Ram might have similar torque to the GM truck discussed in this thread, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would prefer the former to the latter out there on the road.

I hesitate to say "torque does not matter," but it really doesn't. Torque tells you nothing about what is getting accomplished. Torque might matter if the OEMs decided to put the engine from the Corvette in their pickups, but if you look at the engines in trucks, they are optimized for trucks with longer intake runners and torque curves that run lower in the RPM range (without giving up much high RPM performance). Ever seen an electric motor sold by torque numbers? I didn't think so. Tell me the RPM you need the shaft to turn, and I'll find you a gear ratio and motor to make it work. The principle is the same with our pickups.

I suspect the new truck will get better mileage and pull better than the truck it replaced. If you miss the torque that much, install a set of 4.88s in the axles and call it a day. Even then it'd probably get better mileage.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before this thread goes totally haywire....
Yes oil patch truck likely had many thousands of hours on it even with low miles. Our trucks on the slope were averaging 2000-6000 engine hours a year if they'd been used all year, we were only running them for about 6 months a year.
Alberta patch likely a bit less hours vs miles because those trucks do get driven down the highway sometimes but still very high hours.
Yes the 6.0 has noticeably less power (torque) but the 6 speed trans will help with that compared to the 5? speed in your deceased Ford.
Had a lot of 6.0 Chevys and V10 fords in the fleet running them back to back in Colorado mountains. The Fords pulled better, but the Chevys always made it to work as well.
No, you're not going to hurt it keeping your right foot mashed to the carpet up the Coq or any other pass.
And the newer GM will be a bit smoother and more comfortable.
Enjoy!


03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Engine torque
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS