|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Residential Fridges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the frig has an inverter. Your TV will keep it cold while traveling. After 12 hours traveling or more freezer 0 and frig 38 just like before departure.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marc71 wrote:

There’s little to no room for a large bank of batteries.
How large is large?

htwheelz67

orange county

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a 11 cu ft whirlpool in my toyhauler, I have 200 watts solar and 2 gc-2 batts I have been dry camping for 4 and 5 days at a time with no problems whatsoever, I run the genny for a couple hours at night anyways so it tops the batts so far I have never ran down the batteries past 60%, I'm using a 1200 watt pure sine wave inverter. Also it only takes an hour or so to get cold, it works much better in AZ in the campground than my old absorbtion fridge and I have an icemaker now to boot connected to my reverse osmosis system.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Residental fridge compressors are terribly inefficient and pull a lot of amps.

I don't see how any inverter and battery bank would keep up in transit, the tow vehicle don't deliver that many amps to the RV in the first place.

Best bet would be to get it cold before leaving home and don't open the doors until you are on shore power again.

Why I pulled my propane electric fridge last year and installed a Dometic Waeco compressor fridge. Works excellent, draws minimal amps and keep everything cold ot frozen

Maybe 20 years ago. Now they sip power. A couple 180 watt solar panels will provide all the power you need. Add a couple batteries for storage capacity. We replaced our absorption fridge 7 years ago. I would never go back.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Residental fridge compressors are terribly inefficient and pull a lot of amps.

I don't see how any inverter and battery bank would keep up in transit, the tow vehicle don't deliver that many amps to the RV in the first place.

Best bet would be to get it cold before leaving home and don't open the doors until you are on shore power again.

Why I pulled my propane electric fridge last year and installed a Dometic Waeco compressor fridge. Works excellent, draws minimal amps and keep everything cold ot frozen

This is 100% completely true and accurateif, and that is a very big if, it were 30 years ago. Today, nothing in this post is correct.

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been using our residential fridge in our 5th wheel for 5 years now. NEVER had a problem keeping the temps at 38° and 0°. It cools down much faster than the propane models we've had in the past. We would NEVER go back to propane!

Our Suites is equipped with a 1,000 watt inverter and two 6 volt batteries, keeps the fridge running for at least a day (24 hours) without being connected to shore power or to the truck.

Dan

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 120V fridge. It is small and draws 80W, when running. As Pianotuna states, there is a duty cycle. Mine is 1:4. I have solar and many batteries but two 6V and a small charging source would provide a day of two for fridge power (depending on door interval openings). On the road, your truck powering through a 1000W inverter, will handle the load.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Single battery as a buffer and 1000 watt sine wave inverter will keep you powered and cold while in transit between destinations with utility power.
Not a big deal really.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only caution I see is small inverters. There is no federal bureau of inverter ratings and they just plain lie about output. I put a small inverter in for house hold fridge and even though the specs said it would work, would not start the compressor in fridge.

I was unable to find the locked rotar amps for house hold fridges at the time.

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly see some day the absorption fridge in outs gets replaced with a residential fridge. My question is for those who have them do you have problems with the door opening in transit, if so what do you do to secure it?

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Residential Fridges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS