RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Is older really better than newer....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Is older really better than newer....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have committed to keeping our Excel for the forseeable future. We just can't find anything in our price range that is as well built. I have upgraded the suspension to MorRyde IS and a few other things that will hopefully help with its longevity.

A good, solid used unit is a very reasonable way to go, if you can find one and you may have. It all depends on how well it was maintained. Any of them will deteriorate without proper maintenance. Even though ours is a "garage queen" stored inside when not on the road, I still do an annual inspections of all the seams and screws. Leaks are the enemy of any rv. The first thing I would do if buying used would be look for any signs of water damage. Good luck.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

garysol

Kalamazoo Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. I think right now my mind is set on looking newer than older. I am thinking I would maybe rather trade off the possibly better construction of an older unit for a new roof and some of the modern niceties as well as easier resale when the time comes.

2018 Kodiak Ultimate 288BHSL
2017 Ram 2500 6.4
2016 Heritage Glen 263RL (sold)
2012 Komfort 3530 (sold)
2008 Keystone Sprinter (DOA)
014 Ram 3500 6.7 (sold)

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm convinced there are many new RVs coming right off the line with roof issues from the get go and the owner won't know it for years. I have seen multiple RVs going down the roof with a big air bubble under the roof membrane and how long will it be before the owner knows it and/or it does damage to the roof.
Also, the air conditioning hold down bolts are a huge source of leaks. So depending on the interior ceiling panel type and insulation, it could never show-up inside. Meanwhile the roof decking is rotting.
Any RV is a **** shoot regardless of price. Due diligence is required in maintaining them.
So just because its new certainly is no guarantee. Only good thing is the warranty but then good luck getting it in for warranty service.
I'm like JTrac…..committed to keeping ours. Its well built, I just installed the RV Flex Armor RV and I know the rig inside/out.

* This post was edited 06/09/19 01:19pm by pcm1959 *

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garysol wrote:

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. I think right now my mind is set on looking newer than older. I am thinking I would maybe rather trade off the possibly better construction of an older unit for a new roof and some of the modern niceties as well as easier resale when the time comes.
You know your starting out with new appliances, WH, A/C, and hopefully a more modern interior.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

We have committed to keeping our Excel for the forseeable future. We just can't find anything in our price range that is as well built. I have upgraded the suspension to MorRyde IS and a few other things that will hopefully help with its longevity.

A good, solid used unit is a very reasonable way to go, if you can find one and you may have. It all depends on how well it was maintained. Any of them will deteriorate without proper maintenance. Even though ours is a "garage queen" stored inside when not on the road, I still do an annual inspections of all the seams and screws. Leaks are the enemy of any rv. The first thing I would do if buying used would be look for any signs of water damage. Good luck.
Excel was a very well built unit, went through their factory tour when they were still in business. Excel frames were some of the best I seen, very nice welds as well. I will probably replace my unit when the time comes with a used Excel or New Horizon . Like the Excel's with the hickory wood interior.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garysol wrote:

So we have all heard the term "they don't make them like they used too".

Some would say the same thing about trucks.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are hundreds of myths that get spoken over and over so that they eventually get believed. Possibly "they don't make them like they used to" is one of them. It definitely is a myth when applied to cars, trucks, etc. I don't think RVs have ever been made with great precision.

Jayco-noslide

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our '04 Komfort was built hell-for-stout, with a non-LCI Zieman frame and full aluminum box with 16" on center studs. Only issues I had with it were aged graphics, aged caulk, and aged vent lids. Sun faded the interior a bit, but not too badly. Had a leak on the water inlet for the toilet, but if we turned the pump off when not in use, it was a non-issue. I half-seriously considered keeping the frame and having a new coach built on top. Given that it was a low-profile, I had to find the right buyer for it and really took it in the shorts, given that it was in d@mn good condition, overall.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As time goes on, engineering and manufactureing processes should improve. However, the quality control has not. Manufacturers spend a lot of time on gliz, glammor and wieght reduction, and not enough time on quality control. RV's are hand built which makes quality control very difficult and time consuming. Therefore when buying a new unit one should pay attention to engineering, manfacturers choice of items and pre-delivery inspection. That will take a lot of home work which most people are not equipt to perform. If one is not familiar or experienced with RV construction, it would be wise to hire a consultant who is and work with them. After all RV are a large investment and one should treat it that way.....

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A related question I've pondered. Lets say that brand X is believed to be better "quality" than brand Y. But Y costs less and has desired features. What difference does the "quality" make to me. Heavier frame, cabinet doors, etc. After I've owned Y for 5 years, will I be having more problems or feel like its "cheap". I do believe that generally I'll get a better RV from Winnebago than "cheaper" units but I don't really know. We are pleased with our 2003 Winnebago bought used and feel it is quality;yet, we've spent plenty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Is older really better than newer....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS