RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Is older really better than newer....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Is older really better than newer....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure that older is better but new is not trouble free and used is less money and makes more sense economically because new ones depreciate huge. You may get something for the new warranty but picture needing repair hundreds of miles from a facility to do warranty work. Also, when the warranty expires you've got used. I would look for used but "quality", such as Winnebago.

Jayco-noslide

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan any snowbirding, be aware that most snowbird resorts have a 10 year rule on the books that they can "sometimes" use to deny you a spot.

We upgraded from our 2005 Cardinal that we loved when it was 11 years old because of receiving questions on age and request for pictures. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple question: how many of you people will trade your new RV refrigerator for my 12 year old one? Enough Said about this nonsense!

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like was said before the older Excels, Teton,Holiday Ramblers,Cameo, Hitchikers etc.. were built like brick poop houses but other than those brands I have had a 2004 Montana a 2012 Monty and my current 2015 Montana and all have been pretty much trouble free and the same construction quality but all in all I will take my 2015 out of all of them just for the better suspension ,refers,6 point auto level, better Pin boxes,less carpet more wood laminate floors etc....although my 2012 had most of those things as well

* This post was edited 06/08/19 11:46am by topjimmy *

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as a new trailer. As soon as you sign the dotted line it's a used unit and has already depreciated.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BADLY!![emoticon]
colliehauler wrote:

There is no such thing as a new trailer. As soon as you sign the dotted line it's a used unit and has already depreciated.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garysol wrote:

So we have all heard the term "they don't make them like they used too". I wonder if thats really true. I would love to hear your opinions. I am possibly interested in looking at a 2006 Cedar Creek Silver Back that appears to be in immaculate condition with all maintenance done yearly. So assuming that is true would you rather buy an older unit such as the one I just described or something newer that has also been well maintained? Is older really better assuming it has been maintained?

I'm thinkin that the term doesn't really apply to a RV as new as a 2006. More like something made back when craftmanship really meant something. You know back in the 50s, or 60s. When people took pride in what they made. Modern stuff really don't apply. People don't care about quality anymore. Just want the check

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Old better than new?" Sure just ask the old pharts around here about the latest generation too. Talk to old people, it was always better "back then".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just thought of another over built trailer from the past, anyone remember Barth?

So many advancements in trailers through the years to lower the price. CAD design so they can use marginal frames and axles, vinyl decals instead of labor to paint on graphics, chipboard instead of plywood, rubber roofs instead of metal, staples instead of screws, Chinese wheel bearings and tires, quality Lippert components. Paying workers by the amount of units they produce has speeded up production as well.

You can say the RV industry has found ways to save money at every opportunity. This has kept the price reasonable so the average family can purchase a RV. Look at the buying power of Keystone and Forest River as well.

Lots of other advancements as well that trailers from the distant past never had. A/C, slideouts, entertainment centers, self leveling, electric tongue jacks, led lighting, microwave ovens and many more.

There are quality built new RV'S today as well. Look at Oliver trailers, New Horizon 5th wheels. The trouble is most people don't have that kind of disposable income. Last year's demo New Horizon is advertised for $244,000, I beleive a Oliver is around 40k for a small trailer. There are other examples as well.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought new on May '05 a '06 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS to which we had ordered. Unit for the most part was trouble free. In fact, only problem we had was bent axles which CC took care of. Tech at dealer where we purchased it at even said a few years after we bought it that it was a better coach than the new ones. As our kids got older, the BH layout had served it's purpose for us, so in spring of '17 we sold it to a buddy of mine (think he still has it) and went w/ coach in sig. Yes we did have a couple issues w/ the BC (one of which was a decent one w/ the main bed/closet slide), but HL took care of this as well to our satisfaction. We don't travel per say a whole lot of miles like many perhaps do, but overall, she is a well built unit and love the floorplan. Just because we love this floorplan does not mean it won't have problems, but so far after we got the slide problem addressed, all is AOK.

So as for the '06 Cedar Creek, If it's been well cared for, interior isn't used/abused, then go for it. Just remember tho, all the appliances (stove, micro, hot water heater, A/C, fridge) may need to be replaced. If you can get the coach at a good price, then replacing the appliances will be nothing. Couple things to check out: 1. roof condition okay?, 2. any trim separation on sidewall under the BR area of hitch---if so, could mean a possible frame problem. If these 2 are not seen, then I personally think you will be getting a very good coach towable w/a 3/4 ton truck. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Is older really better than newer....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS