|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Getting rid of campfire smoke odor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think febreeze is exchanging one problem for another. That stuff contains so many carcinogens it shouldn't be legal. It's especially dangerous to pets as they have such sensitive sinuses. Friend of ours used Febreeze all the time on their couch and had 2 dogs both die of sinus tumors before she put the 2 together - I digress, but why people insist on using that stuff is beyond me. Read the labels. Anyway, Ozone generator will work provided you use it correctly. Ozone can be dangerous so remove the 3 P's (people pets and plants). It generates an extra oxygen atom so it's very unstable and dissipates quickly (the odor along with it) but you can't technically breathe it. The half life of ozone is about 30 minutes so it's safe after that. Start with small doses (time) and damage to materials should be minimal - if any at all.

And you can pick one up on Amazon for $50 which about what they cost to rent. Having your own would pay for itself in one use.

* This post was edited 06/10/19 07:27am by way2roll *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

air it out as best you can and move on. brew some good coffee in there to cover up with a good smell. Wouldn't bother me, campfire smoke goes with camping IMO and these old farts complaining about a campfire in a campground best stay away from me.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend of ours used Febreeze all the time on their couch and had 2 dogs both die of sinus tumors before she put the 2 together - I digress,

She put two and two together but got five:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hangin........ww.nachi.org/ozone-generator-hazards.htm

You are just exchanging one problem for another. We had a horrible smell in our basement right before we moved-a few bowls of white vinegar placed around and good ventilation took care of it in a few days.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've smoked out my trailer many times. The smell will go away on it's own. Yes if you can leave windows open it will dissipate faster. But I'll bet if you do absolutely nothing, by this Friday you won't be able to smell it at all.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've no doubt heard of "noise-cancelling headphones." Well, what you may not have heard of, and what you need to get is "odor-cancelling nose plugs."

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Friend of ours used Febreeze all the time on their couch and had 2 dogs both die of sinus tumors before she put the 2 together - I digress,

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hangin........ww.nachi.org/ozone-generator-hazards.htm

You are just exchanging one problem for another. We had a horrible smell in our basement right before we moved-a few bowls of white vinegar placed around and good ventilation took care of it in a few days.

Your link doesn't go anywhere. But yes, they need to be used with caution. They generate O3 which is toxic to anything that breathes O2. I said that above. But O3 is very unstable and once the extra Oxygen molecule attaches it to itself to something(the offending odor) it stabilizes back to O2. You can use them to even kill mold.

Some light reading on Febreze ingredients.

ingredients in Febreeze

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try ODORCIDE concentrate.

Ray

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eat a bunch of Frijoles and Bud Light. Once that kicks in, you won't notice the smoke smell....
Or sell it an and start racking up rewards points at the Marriott where there's no campfires allowed.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Your link doesn't go anywhere. But yes, they need to be used with caution. They generate O3 which is toxic to anything that breathes O2. I said that above. But O3 is very unstable and once the extra Oxygen molecule attaches it to itself to something(the offending odor) it stabilizes back to O2. You can use them to even kill mold.

ingredients in Febreeze

I'll take this with a large grain of salt... One of the listed ingredients, propylene glycol, is a widely used and accepted, safe food ingredient, as well as being the ingredient in RV antifreeze, yet this writer claims it is carcinogenic. In fact, he claims almost everything in it is carcinogenic. To read this article, you'd think Febreeze will kill you dead.

Far too many of these "green" sites are run by people who have no expertise, or apparently even the ability to use Google.

* This post was edited 06/10/19 02:11pm by drsteve *

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Crowe wrote:

ingredients in Febreeze

I'll take this with a large grain of salt... One of the listed ingredients, propylene glycol, is a widely used and accepted, safe food ingredient, yet this writer claims it is carcinogenic. In fact, he claims almost everything in it is carcinogenic. To read this article, you'd think Febreeze will kill you dead.

Far too many of these "green" sites are run by people who have no expertise, or apparently even the ability to use Google.

Can you get a grain of salt as big as a truck?

A website full of useless garbage. Originally started by one Tara Wagner, the operator of a essential oils business known as Xotara, which operates under the Doterra unbrella which is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. It eventually takes you HEREso head on over and get out your credit card LOL.

Read the disclaimer?

"Nothing on this site is a replacement for your own best judgment, or legal, professional, or medical advice.

The materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal, medical, or other professional advice on any subject matter. Sustainable Baby Steps does not accept any responsibility for any loss, injury, and harm which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site.

Any health-related topics shared on this site are solely the opinion of the author or guest author. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. No products or statements are intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always consult your health care provider.

While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this website is correct, complete, and/or up-to-date."

* This post was edited 06/10/19 01:41pm by BillyBob Jim *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Getting rid of campfire smoke odor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS