|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking at Walmart

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 02:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DReisinger wrote:

Wanted to leave my 5th wheel and TV in their lot at Fleming Island,Fl, just south of Jacksonville. I had shopping to get supplies,on my way South.Was leaving next morning. Was told, NO, it would be towed if supervisor for outside, Amanda, saw it when she came to work. Winn Dixie next door was more accommodating and they got my business. Walmart has the last of my money.

many cities/towns ban overnight parking in business parking lots. most Walmarts don't own the property they're built on, therefore have to follow local ordinances.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

No one is shoping at night,so there is plenty of space to park.

True, but much easier for them to sweep, perform security, and do maintenance on an empty or nearly empty lot. Some sweeper operators might be tempted to sweep around and around the expensive RV's that are in their way of doing a good job.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

We shop at the Fleming Island Walmart, US 17 and county road 220. There are campers and semi’s parked over night regularly on the lot.

Theres a diference between daytime parking and nightime.

No one is shoping at night,so there is plenty of space to park.

Not true in the states. Most Walmart's are 24-7 operations.

Still PRIVATE property and you are a guest so it's up to the manager and local ordinances.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Why not park overnight at a local campground?

One thing that surprises us is how often we find ourselves in an area with no camping facilities nearby or availability. None of the campground apps are complete which leaves many camping facilities empty, no one knows about them for some reason.

Try to find the downtown Lynchburg, TN camp in Allstays, Good Sam or RV Parkey. Five 50 Amp with water and one of those has sewer in downtown Lynchburg at Wiseman Park. That is just one example of many.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I asked the manager of a large Supercenter about parking, I was told that the store did not own or manage the parking lot. Being right on the Interstate, it had become a night parking lot for big trucks and RV's. The manager was not happy with the congestion it caused.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why it pays to call ahead and ask the manager. If we have any doubt, one of us will call and ask. The call usually starts with - we would like to stop at your store, do some shopping, then have dinner but remain until morning when we will be on our way.

The response is typically positive. At one such place, we were told that there was a new ordinance against it, but the local police had no interest in enforcing it and the store had a policy that was the same. She just instructed us as to where she would like us to park.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of you do not remember hobos, but they had ways of marking the places that were friendly to bums. Maybe that is what we need today?

(I have spent many nights at the Walmart Astoria myself)

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local Walmart has sold so many outlots around their perimeter that there isn't really a good place left to park a large RV.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never ask , and have never been told NO or been told to leave . We stay at maybe 20 Wal-Marts per year .

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

I never ask , and have never been told NO or been told to leave . We stay at maybe 20 Wal-Marts per year .

There are reports of local police and tow truck operators that can make it more expensive than a campground. "If" I owned the parking lot, I would be more inclined to fight local ordinances against overnight parking if people showed me the respect of asking.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking at Walmart
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS