|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking at Walmart

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hypoxia wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

Why not park overnight at a local campground?

One thing that surprises us is how often we find ourselves in an area with no camping facilities nearby or availability. None of the campground apps are complete which leaves many camping facilities empty, no one knows about them for some reason.

Try to find the downtown Lynchburg, TN camp in Allstays, Good Sam or RV Parkey. Five 50 Amp with water and one of those has sewer in downtown Lynchburg at Wiseman Park. That is just one example of many.

I guess, for overnight, are hookups really needed? Walmart does not provide hookups.

I agree, a complete directory of campgrounds would be nice, this is the information age after all. I guess it's also the age of greed, those who compile these lists want compensation from both ends.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Human nature being what it is, I wonder how many choose to keep their secret places instead of reporting them to the makers of campground lists?

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

hypoxia wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

Why not park overnight at a local campground?

One thing that surprises us is how often we find ourselves in an area with no camping facilities nearby or availability. None of the campground apps are complete which leaves many camping facilities empty, no one knows about them for some reason.

Try to find the downtown Lynchburg, TN camp in Allstays, Good Sam or RV Parkey. Five 50 Amp with water and one of those has sewer in downtown Lynchburg at Wiseman Park. That is just one example of many.

I guess, for overnight, are hookups really needed? Walmart does not provide hookups.

I agree, a complete directory of campgrounds would be nice, this is the information age after all. I guess it's also the age of greed, those who compile these lists want compensation from both ends.
The Good Sam guidebook sets the criteria at 10 sites available to the public (I am not 100% certain on that amount, but it is close). They also require it to be an actual campground not just parking lots, truck stops, internet rest stops etc. Finally, they don't list campgrounds that only seasonal (no short stay allowed) or are not available to the public (member only, fraternal only etc.). That seems like a reasonable set of criteria to me. Contrary to your implication, the most complete directories I know of such as Good Sam and the online resources such as Trip Advisor, RVParkreviews, RVParky, Allstays, Google etc. do not charge any fees whatsoever to be listed. Greed just isn't a factor.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of those listed surely do charge.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Most of those listed surely do charge.

I believe he meant the producers of the books don't charge the campground to be listed in the book.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really comes down to "ask first". It is not your right to park overnight in any parking lot. Whatever their reason: town ordinance, store policy, manager preference, etc.; they have the right to tell you no.

And those things can change pretty much overnight. So just because you stayed once doesn't mean you can stay again. A problem with an RVer one night can cause a store to change its policy. An ordinance can come into effect between your trip out and your trip back.

As for the idea of identifying RV friendly places like hobos used to do, that won't work well. Those identifications are considered graffiti and vandalism nowadays and would make RVs less welcome than they are now.

While convenient overnight stays are desireable for us RVers, we need to consider all the other people affected by it. And despite the belief that RVers are all wonderful people and never cause trouble, there are a lot of RVers out there who are not considerate, thoughtful or polite. Those RVers are often the ones at fault for stores banning RV overnighting.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I simplify it. Their place, their rules. Therefore, I call them ahead of time, and I ask permission to overnight on their parking lot.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

.....snip.......

As for the idea of identifying RV friendly places like hobos used to do, that won't work well. Those identifications are considered graffiti and vandalism nowadays and would make RVs less welcome than they are now.....snip..

It was a joke. Who would really think that in this digital age any kind of physical mark would be required? Humor doesn't work well on here. Too many critics.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped messing with Wal-Marts and I just crash in truck stops. I fill with diesel before I leave as a courtesy/thank you.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

.....snip.......

As for the idea of identifying RV friendly places like hobos used to do, that won't work well. Those identifications are considered graffiti and vandalism nowadays and would make RVs less welcome than they are now.....snip..

It was a joke. Who would really think that in this digital age any kind of physical mark would be required? Humor doesn't work well on here. Too many critics.

Humor works better if you add a smiley. Otherwise it is too difficult to tell if you are a funny guy or one of the many many people with really crazy ideas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking at Walmart
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS