|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kona Electric Car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level 1 is 120 volt AC.
Level 2 is 208/240 volt AC.
Level 3 is 400+ volt DC.

Level 1 & 2 provide power to the on-board charger with standard alternating current.

Level 3 the charger is a large box the size of a fridge that uses 480v 3-phase power to provide the DC charging current. The vehicle communicates with this charger to set the charging power.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the Kona would accommodate level 3 (240 volt)charging--but I'll ask!

Reisender wrote:

Looking forward to your report Don.

One question. Does the EVSE the car comes with work on 120 and 240 volts or just 120.

Have fun.

No. I know the car is capable of it. I’m asking about whether the EVSE that is included with the car is a 120 volts or 240 and/or 120volt. Many EVSE’s that are included with the car are just 120 and you have to buy an aftermarket 240 EVSE. I think the base Leaf is like that but the Eplus comes with the 240 volt EVSE. It will be in a bag in the trunk. Just look at the plug and see if there are adapters with it.

Wild Bill 888

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Towed at 70 mph how many kWh will you be generating?

At first I thought this was a strange question but the ability to turn regenerative charging on/off with a wireless remote would be very useful, especially to capture “free” energy on downhill grades. My question is how fast can it absorb energy in hp or kw.

Looking again I’m not sure if mex was asking about drag or thrust. Thrust on uphill grades would be nice but may cause stability problems.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Towed at 70 mph how many kWh will you be generating?
A bit of a guess but I think the number would be in range of 25 to 50 kW.

Although this is not really going to happen as no EV is rated to operate this way.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To date, I have queried four different EV manufacturers about towing 4-down and all said it was not advised but could not say why. I know why hybrids don't like it.

One was a real engineer, and allowed as how it should not be damaging, but might void the warranty. It was he that I asked if the regenerative braking could be possibly be controlled remotely. He seriously thought I was joking and they I explained our position and issues.

Wouldn't it be nice to arrive at the end of the day's travel to a fully charged EV Towed??

Now we just have to get someone to listen. But I couldn't even save S&T or SA so I'm not going to dream.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi time2roll,

Thanks!

time2roll wrote:

Level 1 is 120 volt AC.
Level 2 is 208/240 volt AC.
Level 3 is 400+ volt DC.

Level 1 & 2 provide power to the on-board charger with standard alternating current.

Level 3 the charger is a large box the size of a fridge that uses 480v 3-phase power to provide the DC charging current. The vehicle communicates with this charger to set the charging power.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

To date, I have queried four different EV manufacturers about towing 4-down and all said it was not advised but could not say why. I know why hybrids don't like it.

One was a real engineer, and allowed as how it should not be damaging, but might void the warranty. It was he that I asked if the regenerative braking could be possibly be controlled remotely. He seriously thought I was joking and they I explained our position and issues.

Wouldn't it be nice to arrive at the end of the day's travel to a fully charged EV Towed??

Now we just have to get someone to listen. But I couldn't even save S&T or SA so I'm not going to dream.

Matt

Well it wouldn’t take all day. Probably an hour or two. Regen in an EV is pretty strong. The regen tapers off after the battery is over 90 percent till it stops completely around 99. If you charge an EV to a 100 percent the lack of regen braking is really noticeable for the first 10 minutes. You actually have to use your brake pedal. Feels weird. [emoticon]

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An electric car in Canada? What's the range when the lakes are frozen over?

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

An electric car in Canada? What's the range when the lakes are frozen over?

Generally speaking countries in Northern climates have greater uptake of EV’s than many southern countries. Over 55 percent of all vehicles sold in Norway are EV’s. In BC it is about 7 percent right now. Quebec probably a little more.

Hard to go back to a gasser after you have driven an electric thru the winter. Instant heat and always preheated by an app on your phone. So no frosty windows etc. Just get in and go. Great winter commuter cars.

Range is kind of irrelevant if your range is 5 times your daily commute.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Range is kind of irrelevant if your range is 5 times your daily commute.

But, range is very relevant if you have a long commute and are trying to decide on whether an EV is suitable for you.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kona Electric Car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS