|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kona Electric Car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

But does a BEV have such a drive train?

philh wrote:

OEM Hybrid systems engineer here.

If the OEM certified their vehicle for Recreational tow, it's capable of towing.

The problem comes from rotating parts in the drive train getting enough lube and/or cooling.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a further explanation from the salesman.

"As it has what’s called the regenerative breaking that is part of the electric motor system when the wheels are spinning the engine is working as well so it is recommended to be on a dolly or a flat deck. "

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

What BEV do you own?

Reisender wrote:

Where we live in Canada I have never seen my range drop more than 30 percent. Then again our commute is only about 20 km per day so kinda doesn’t matter.

Hi Don. We live in a part of B.C. that has pretty mild winters. Rarely goes below minus 15. We have a first generation Leaf. It has a heat pump so a little less susceptible to range loss in winter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

"After doing more research it is recommended to be on a deck to protect the ev system to save the regen brakes!"
Yes all EVs need to be on a trailer. Some 2wd might get away with a dolly.

The reasoning is just corporate BS. Still waiting to hear a story of someone pulling an EV 4-down. No one is brave enough to do this with a $40,000+ car. Maybe when it is about shot someone will give it a go.

I believe the transmission is just not designed to push the motor for hours on end. There is no disconnect or mechanical "neutral". Very easy to have the motor at 5,000 to 8,000+ rpm going down the highway.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So there is no 'park' position for the car? And no neutral?

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Bobbo,

Are you saying you know folks who do a 150 mile commute?

Bobbo wrote:

But, range is very relevant if you have a long commute and are trying to decide on whether an EV is suitable for you.

Yes, I am.

I have a friend whose wife is stationed at Blytheville Air Force Base, and will be till her hitch is up in about 2 years. He commutes, every day, to Memphis, TN.

In icy weather, I let him stay at my place to keep him from driving that distance on iced over streets.

Never lose sight of the fact that other people have other needs than you do.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

There is. For Park some use an automatic parking brake and some have a parking pawl. Some have both.

Neutral just powers off the main electric drive motor... no mechanical disconnect. Wheels and motor always turn in unison together through about 7:1 gear ratio. Yes you can put it in Neutral while driving at speed and the motor just continues to spin. Just electronic disconnect.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

There is. For Park some use an automatic parking brake and some have a parking pawl. Some have both.

Neutral just powers off the main electric drive motor... no mechanical disconnect. Wheels and motor always turn in unison together through about 7:1 gear ratio. Yes you can put it in Neutral while driving at speed and the motor just continues to spin. Just electronic disconnect.

Holy carp. Where do you learn all this stuff?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been reading www.mynissanleaf.com since the initial orders were placed in May 2010. Mine included.

There are people on there that have hacked and disassembled just about everything. You think we have lengthy talks here.... it is nothing compared to some details on how these EVs work. It is a busy forum and virtually all cars are covered to some extent.

Drove the Nissan LEAF 3 years, RAV4-EV 5 years, now the I-Pace gets me around.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Been reading www.mynissanleaf.com since the initial orders were placed in May 2010. Mine included.

There are people on there that have hacked and disassembled just about everything. You think we have lengthy talks here.... it is nothing compared to some details on how these EVs work. It is a busy forum and virtually all cars are covered to some extent.

Drove the Nissan LEAF 3 years, RAV4-EV 5 years, now the I-Pace gets me around.

Ahhh. Makes sense. I am yet to get up and personal with the Ipace but looks nice from a distance. We’ll spend part of the winter in California this year and I’m sure the local dealer will have one. Otherwise we’ll be in Europe next year and I know they’ll have them there.

Cheers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kona Electric Car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS