|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Help getting out of NYC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mkc

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

You may already know this, but careful with "parkways" in New England! Garden State Parkway is okay to tow on, but most are not open to trailers. Some people tow campers on them, but... that is your call.

Actually, in NYS it's not "your call". NY Parkways are passenger car only, no trucks or trailers permitted AT ALL. There are no shoulders, no medians, and underclearances of less than 10 ft in many areas.

The reason RVs end up on them is unfamiliarity with the area and/or blindly following a GPS.

2017 LTV Unity

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkc wrote:

Tvov wrote:

You may already know this, but careful with "parkways" in New England! Garden State Parkway is okay to tow on, but most are not open to trailers. Some people tow campers on them, but... that is your call.

Actually, in NYS it's not "your call". NY Parkways are passenger car only, no trucks or trailers permitted AT ALL. There are no shoulders, no medians, and underclearances of less than 10 ft in many areas.

The reason RVs end up on them is unfamiliarity with the area and/or blindly following a GPS.

I think this is a pretty tricky one. It depends a lot on what RV you are driving. A class C can be on there no problem. Travel trailer? No way. Fifth wheel? No way. Truck camper? No problem. Just height restrictions to worry about.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

mkc wrote:

Tvov wrote:

I think this is a pretty tricky one. It depends a lot on what RV you are driving. A class C can be on there no problem. Travel trailer? No way. Fifth wheel? No way. Truck camper? No problem. Just height restrictions to worry about.

Class C motorhomes are not legally permitted on virtually all New York (and Connecticut) parkways; passenger cars only means, well, passenger cars only, and a motorhome ("house car" on my registration) is not a passenger car. The only exception to this that I know of in New York state is the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which does permit non-commercial RVs and trailers that are not too tall. In many cases, a class C motorhome simply won't fit underneath the overpasses on parkways.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a comparison of 2 possible routes.

[image]

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

Here's a comparison of 2 possible routes.

[image]

That is wrong.... You do NOT go all the way to Albany...

You added about 3-1/2 hours with that map

* This post was edited 06/10/19 01:50pm by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look here - 4-1/2 Hours - 240 miles

google maps- Liberty Harbor to Boston

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option not mentioned is to take the NYS Thruway up to the Mass Pike Extension south of Albany. Yes, there are tolls on both of them, but it avoids pretty much any chance of traffic. And the recommendation to take 78 west all the away to 287 to go north? I'm a north Jersey local. From Liberty Harbor get back on the Newark Bay NJ Turnpike Extension where it hits Grand Street, to either NJ turnpike spur northbound to I-80 west to the Garden State Parkway to its northern terminus, at which point either head north my recommended way, or "south" to cross the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkc wrote:

Tvov wrote:

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to randomly do what you want. I am saying "your call" meaning some people will tow campers / small trailers on the parkways to save time, running the risk of a ticket.

Also depends on the parkway and what state you are in.

And - a lot of GPS and mapping apps don't distinguish between parkways and general use roads.

So, anyway, make sure you do your research on routes!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lumpty wrote:

...the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Really! So my wife was right! (don't tell her). We just went over that last Sunday, and my wife was surprised to see a sign about the name change.

Meh.... I've always thought "Tappanzee" is such a cool name.

mkc

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Lumpty wrote:

...the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Really! So my wife was right! (don't tell her). We just went over that last Sunday, and my wife was surprised to see a sign about the name change.

Meh.... I've always thought "Tappanzee" is such a cool name.

There is a significant public effort to get it changed back, or at least have Tappan Zee added back to the name.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Help getting out of NYC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS