RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 10 ply tires?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 10 ply tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ex-Halfton Guy

Los Alamos Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello
Any issues going from d range 8 ply 65 psi to 10 ply 80 psi, on the stock rims on my rockwood 8281ws? Thanks

The Wife, my 3 boys Joseph(19) Ryder(5) Kade(3)
2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLight 2801WS
Pulled by a 2012 Ford 350 Desiel 4x4

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-Halfton Guy wrote:

Hello
Any issues going from d range 8 ply 65 psi to 10 ply 80 psi, on the stock rims on my rockwood 8281ws? Thanks

Crawl under the trailer with a flash light and a rag. Look at the back side of your rims for a max inflation stamp.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-Halfton Guy wrote:

Hello

No problem with higher load range tires......but why do you think you need extra pressure ??

That number on the sidewall is NOT a recommendation for any particular application.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO issue IMHO, as you should be running nearly the same air pressure as with the "D" tires.

I highly recommend GY ENDURANCE.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Ex-Halfton Guy wrote:

Hello

Crawl under the trailer with a flash light and a rag. Look at the back side of your rims for a max inflation stamp.

Unless it's stamped in the valley, which means that a tire would have to be dismounted to check.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No issues that I can see as long as rims can handle the additional psi, did the same thing many moons ago, really nice to have more safety margin.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Forest River 5th wheel. The cousin to the Rockwood. It has the Aluminum rims and they are stamped "Maximum load 2830 pounds", the same as what's stamped on my new tires, but no mention of maximum pressure they can handle. I recently did just what you are wanting to do. I got rid of the **** D rated China tires and bought E rated Goodyear Endurance tires and I'm now rated to 87 mph and max cold inflation is 80 psi. I've seen 90 psi when traveling when the tires are hot. I don't have a lot of miles on them (about 400 miles so far) and I've had no issue at all.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I have a Forest River 5th wheel. The cousin to the Rockwood. It has the Aluminum rims and they are stamped "Maximum load 2830 pounds", the same as what's stamped on my new tires, but no mention of maximum pressure they can handle. I recently did just what you are wanting to do. I got rid of the **** D rated China tires and bought E rated Goodyear Endurance tires and I'm now rated to 87 mph and max cold inflation is 80 psi. I've seen 90 psi when traveling when the tires are hot. I don't have a lot of miles on them (about 400 miles so far) and I've had no issue at all.

AFAIK, at that weight rating, you have D-rated rims and would need to upgrade them to run full E-rated pressure.

Lyle

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-Halfton Guy wrote:

Hello

The trailer’s original equipment wheels were used on your trailer because they will support the maximum load of the vehicle certified axles. Tires mounted on them with excess load capacity are just providing load capacity reserves. The wheels are not in danger for the tire excess load capacity unless the trailer axles are overloaded.

You need to insure the replacement tires are a compatible fitment to the OE wheels. Some wheels will have their maximum load capacity displayed somewhere on the wheel. Wheels marked like that will support a tire PSI pressure needed to meet the wheel’s maximum load capacity. Some wheels will have certified load and PSI values. When that is the case the PSI value cannot be higher than the wheel’s cold recommendation.

Wheel rim width MUST be compatible with the replacement tires acceptable width range. Valve stem PSI ratings are often overlooked when using replacement tires with higher recommended PSI values.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

AFAIK, at that weight rating, you have D-rated rims and would need to upgrade them to run full E-rated pressure.

Lyle

I inquired about this when buying the tires. The tire place with 100 years of existence and a staff with a lot of experience said they were putting in reinforced valve stems to handle the increased PSI. My old tires were rated for 65 PSI. My new ones are 80 PSI. I was told I'm just fine with what I did.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 10 ply tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS