|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rear Camera Intercom

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much all the old "picture tube" display rear RV cameras had a microphone on the camera so you could hear your rear spotter giving directions (usually all you need is to hear them, they don't need your input). Was much more convenient than having to juggle a walkie talkie as you are trying to back up your rig. I have not seen any newer RV camera systems with that feature. Has anyone come up with a mike and small amp that accomplishes this simple task?

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the driver doesn't need to input anything, then a 'walkie talkie' would work fine, wouldn't it? Its only when the driver needs to speak that something like Bluetooth would be helpful. You could do that with 2 cells phones + Bluetooth on the vehicle as long as you can hit a tower.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aircraft carriers are noisy and the yellow shirts use arm and hand comands to guide the aircraft, so I taught the wife some basic arm and hand comands and we do not need to shout, she also does not stand behind the RV but makes sure that she can see me on one of the side mirrors, and she is always visible to me and I make sure that she is inside the RV when we cat launch out of the camping spot, LOL.

navegator

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visual signals are safest. Used to work with a lot of military and other large vehicles. Always told my spotters I would not move if I couldn’t see them. Tell my wife the same thing but I add that I’m too **** old to start over with a new one unless she knows of a hot younger woman who is into older men. She didn’t apppreciate the humor, but she finally got the point after a few reminders. I put the flashers on if I can’t see her to remind her.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Visual signals are safest. Used to work with a lot of military and other large vehicles. Always told my spotters I would not move if I couldn’t see them. Tell my wife the same thing but I add that I’m too **** old to start over with a new one unless she knows of a hot younger woman who is into older men. She didn’t apppreciate the humor, but she finally got the point after a few reminders. I put the flashers on if I can’t see her to remind her.

Good idea on the flashers.

I also tell them that if they can't look at the mirror and see me then I probably can't see them.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

Aircraft carriers are noisy and the yellow shirts use arm and hand comands to guide the aircraft, so I taught the wife some basic arm and hand comands and we do not need to shout, she also does not stand behind the RV but makes sure that she can see me on one of the side mirrors, and she is always visible to me and I make sure that she is inside the RV when we cat launch out of the camping spot, LOL.

navegator

Well, why isn't she using LSO padddles?[emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on what the paddles are made of she might wak me and the cat with them if I do a bolter!

navegator

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just call each other on the cell. Wife is spotting while holding her cell. Mine is on speaker and on the console. Works unless there is no cell signal [emoticon]

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We normally end in places that have no signal at all, sometimes we use the small radios at night in the desert, otherwise the LSO officer does a good job.

navegator

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With mirrors and rear/side cameras I park ok. Trained drivers park 18 wheelers in the most difficult places without "Spotters."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rear Camera Intercom
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS