|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Triton Engine Spark Plugs PSA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Triton plugs spitting out in the 5.4, 4.6 and 6.8 in the early years was because of the 4 little threads they had and usually happened after being replaced and then being OVER TORQUED and killing the 4 thread plug in the aluminum head..

The Triton plugs being broke off in the head with the 2004+ 5.4 3V using those long 2 piece plugs was because the part of the plug in the head would carbon up and not let the plug screw out and would break at the 2 piece part..

Had nothing to do with the threads and whether or not you had anti seize on the threads or not... Actually, on the early heads, if you used anti seize, that would cause the 4 thread plugs to work themselves out over time and then blow out...

Anyway, just more "interweb" talk from someone who has no real clue on it other than owing a 97 5.4 F150 and changed the plugs 3 times in 255,000 miles and never had a "blow out"..

You could not give me a 5.4 3V equipped truck... That's why I waited so long with my 97 to get my 13 F150.. But then, that's another whole "interweb" discussion isn't it?? [emoticon]

Anyway, just more "interweb" talk, so there you go.. ha, ha!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And to add insult to injury there was the cam phaser/timing chain issues with the 3 valve Tritons!!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming up on 100,000 mile and don't leave home with out...

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42025-HELP-Cylinder-Repair/dp/B000TYVU1U

Coil over plug

Fuel filter

* This post was edited 10/24/19 10:15am by path1 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe, hope, that having a good coating of antiseize on the smooth portion of the plug below the threads will keep the part that breaks off from rusting or carbon up.
The plugs that came out of the Mustang had zero carbon but the entire lower portion of the plug that can get stuck and break had a solid coat of rust on them.
Stainless plugs (if they make em for this application) like used on boat engines could also be a solution.
I did find that Motorcraft made a wholesale part number change for the factory spec plugs. Maybe they're improved?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy just had a plug spit out of his 2015? 5.4 work van at under 50k miles. Apparently it's still an issue of spitting plugs to some extent as well.
I had quite a few 5.4 and 6.8 90's and early 2000s work trucks as well as the company fleet which was hundreds of new trucks a year and I don't recall others losing spark plugs, I never did. Same as most "issues". Event the bad problems typically only affect a small percentage.

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I believe, hope, that having a good coating of antiseize on the smooth portion of the plug below the threads will keep the part that breaks off from rusting or carbon up.
The plugs that came out of the Mustang had zero carbon but the entire lower portion of the plug that can get stuck and break had a solid coat of rust on them.
Stainless plugs (if they make em for this application) like used on boat engines could also be a solution.
I did find that Motorcraft made a wholesale part number change for the factory spec plugs. Maybe they're improved?

They went from the original 2 piece design (where the smooth part was it's own piece) to a one piece design where the threads and the smooth part are formed from one piece of metal. I have heard it helps. The "South Main Auto LLC" channel on YouTube has some good videos on the subject.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I've read about this issue with seizing plugs and have always wondered why the plugs aren't given a brush of anti-seize when new. Seems an easy solution, all my plugs get anti-seize and never had an issue with any of them.

OEM Mfg would never accept that in an assembly process.

Adding it yourself, changes the torque applied to the threads and you can over torque the threads leading to plastic deformation. I add anti seize on my car's plugs and torque to minimum value.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With this issue on their gas engines and the Ford diesel disasters 6.0, 6.4, CP4 one has to wonder why anyone would risk buying a Ford.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Ha, right?
But most all vehicles have their issues. I'm not even a Ford fan, but the 4.6 3V and 5R55W with a 8.8 corporate 3rd member is one of the more bulletproof combos out there overall.
I specifically picked this because it was a sticker and not a spitter, lol. And hedged my bet, low miles, it would not be an issue. I won the bet. Cost me $90 for a set of plugs but....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Triton Engine Spark Plugs PSA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS