|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

What I know is I've had two 5th wheels in the last eight years running Michelin truck tires, traveling all over the US in the heat of summer and have yet to have a tire issue. I don't baby my tires and I don't run them at max pressure. My current Michelins are five years old and are wearing fine. So called tire experts can talk about shear and degrees and such but I'll talk from actual tire usage and the 100% reliability of my truck tires. Truck tires are tough and can take the abuse, Chinese trailer tires can't.
Looks like a well thought out post, good points until that last sentence. That mis-statement throws the whole post into doubt.

My Sailun ST tires, and almost every other one I've read about have lasted with no issues. Chinese-made and an ST tire, but an excellent tire that I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Don't forget, though, that the Sailuns =originally= were imported as truck tires, but they decided to rebrand them as ST tires to avoid higher import tariffs. They are, for all intents, the exact same tire that was labeled for truck usage 5-6 years ago. I've had this from several different tire/truck dealers, when asked about them.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

ChuckSteed wrote:

Sailun tires are as good as any GY tires made for RVs... personally I run a Geo Star Chinese made G rated 14 ply tire... starting 4th season... r7n them at 105 to 110 psi...

They will continue to perform quite well... GY G614 is a nice tire but not worth the cost factor when a good G rated 14 ply tire will work just as well

If you’ve got money to burn then buy the best....Sailun would be your huckleberry
So far there's no indication that the Sailun isn't the best. There are still a few reports of issues with the Goodyear and they have had some real problems in the past. So far I've read of 2 Sailun tires that there have been problems. If someone offered me my choice of tire at no cost to me, it would still be the Sailun with no hesitation.

IMO this is one of those times when higher price is not an indication of higher quality.

x2! Now, if Sailun would get into the 15" D/E rating market, with the same quality, they'd =own= it. [emoticon]

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"x2! Now, if Sailun would get into the 15" D/E rating market, with the same quality, they'd =own= it."

ENDURANCE has a stellar record and is at a very competitive price. OH and it's US Made.

NEVER have I said the Sailun is a bad tire. I have had ONE GY tire issue and they stood behind it. EVERY RV I have owned over 25 years has had US Made GY's. Not even a flat over that time.

GY's on my vehicles? NOPE I prefer Michelins.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Calling Chineese made tire junk is more political than fact. Many Chineese tire are ISO cetified and many so-call American tires are made in China. So folks please don't confuse facts with politics. Buy American is a good thing however.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an FYI: Not all Sailuns are made in China, I saw a stack of Sailun 17.5" tires that were labeled "Made in Korea".

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Just an FYI: Not all Sailuns are made in China, I saw a stack of Sailun 17.5" tires that were labeled "Made in Korea".

IMHO that is MUCH better!

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

IMHO that is MUCH better!

Mine were made in Vietnam, the old stomping ground for Michelin.

http://www.rjsmith.com/Dau_Tieng_and_Michelin_Complete.html

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

Calling Chineese made tire junk is more political than fact. Many Chineese tire are ISO cetified and many so-call American tires are made in China. So folks please don't confuse facts with politics. Buy American is a good thing however.

The issues with poly carcass ST tires came with load C/D/E ratings even when all were made in the USA and made later made in china. I was around towing for a living and our domestic tire makers ST tires had the same issues if not worse. BTDT.
The 16" Sailun S637 were probably the first new gen made over there load G tire that hit the streets sometime in the '10 era mostly on regional service trailers.....later on rv trailers.
Now we have several brands made over there commercial grade all steel ply carcass ST load G tires with real service records (years and miles).

And we have lots of excellent P and LT tires made in china to choose from for our tow vehicles/trailers.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When Goodyear introduced their new (Endurance) ST tire line-up they had a new size. It's a ST255/85R16 LRE with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI. I noticed that some of the newer Montana 5th wheel trailers are coming with those tires as OEM. It's a little surprising to see a Keystone trailer with high dollar OEM tires. I also noticed another ST tire manufacturer touting that size, Greenball.

* This post was edited 06/15/19 01:15am by CALandLIN *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the GY Endurance ST255/85R16 LRE is about $207. Not cheap or "high dollar" but they do hold up well!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS