|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Flat tow setup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northshore wrote:

Iryrob,
Thanks for that heads up on the wireless tail lights, have you tried them?
Im getting ready to do a flat towing setup and those lights seem like the ticket.
Thanks again

Been using a set of TOW MATE wireless lights for 8 years. They work everytime, in any weather, and never scratch the paint. All you have to do is recharge them after a days towing.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're handy, consider installing a baseplate, toad wiring and a Ready Brute Elite tow bar yourself. Spent $1800 on setting up our Grand Cherokee. Would not be surprised if there are on-line videos showing how to install on a CR-V. I found the videos extremely helpful.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp world has a deal for install anything for $55 or so. I bought my baseplates thru CW and had them install along with the light wiring setup. At the time was like $29 per item, but must buy from CW, Could have gotten baseplates cheaper off net but then would need to pay again at time $75-100/hr for install!

they guy that sold me the rv gave me his brake setup and I did the install myself. CW would not do it since it was USED. But was pretty simple it was the hard mount AF unit I think. No messing with putting something in or pulling out to drive much easier and no storage space issues.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Base plates average $400 a tow bar around $800. Brake system approx $1100. Wiring will be around $175. Labor will be around 6-8 hours. So around $3300.

I picked up a “used one time” tow bar and brake system for $300. $400 for a new base plate and $160 for the wiring with diodes. Did all the work myself. The base plate is a 2 hour job. The wiring is the killer, takes 4-5 hours to do it right.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just completed installing base plates on my 2006 Grand Vitara, it was about $500 for the base plates and the adapters for my tow bar. There was $50 in miscellaneous parts and another $500 in common tool sets needed(I already had the tools). It took 5 hours for the installation because of Mr. Murphy and mid-year design changes in the GV.

Here is my post about the install. One of the guys commented that now I know why the shop wanted to charge 8 hours for the job at $150 and hour.

The big savings is cool, I bought a new radio and it will pay for the aux brake system, the BIG savings is I know how it was done and how the base plates and BP's were put together. Correctly! There were lots of U clips and screws used to replace the plastic push pin body rivets that were broken during disassembly. The torque on the bolts is correct and was stressed and checked before being covered by the body. Absolutely none of the bolts can be re torqued without removing the front body assembly. Shops often don't pay attention to fine details like broken plastic push rivets.

Today another two hours putting the cable in for the brake and tail lights.

Two weeks to get the Aux Braking system ordered and installed.

The big reward is of course the sea trials afterwards. Going to see the DGD and her husband in OR where we dropped them off to start their new life in the slow lane.

* This post was edited 06/18/19 09:31am by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Flat tow setup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS