RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Rebuild Cabover using Great Stuff?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Rebuild Cabover using Great Stuff?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After spending ten years of its life in the desert, our Minnie has succumbed to three years in Illinois, and has water damage in the cabover.

The luan on the drivers side was totally disintegrated, and I am now faced with rebuilding the drivers side wall.

For now, the filon is still attached to the roof and rest of the coach, and there’s a diagonal cross brace which makes it somewhat impractical to build a new sandwich wall. I also don’t want to mess with where the filon meets the roofline.

What I’m considering...

1) screwing external luan into the aluminum bracing, and gluing down the filon
2) building up a foam core using normal GreatStuff (1” gap)
3) attaching the interior luan to the bracing
4) filling the void with more GreatStuff

I’ve seen where some people have used closed cell foam for rebuilds. Yes, I know it’s messy, but at least I know it would adhere to the luan without question vs doubting if I have a solid sandwich wall, and it would also attach to the cross bracing.

Following that, I’ll replace the front filon with new product and eliminate the front facing window, which is where half of the damage originated, but that’s after I figure out the side wall.

Thoughts appreciated...

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a Honda Odyssey or Insight (had Ram 2500 CTD, Durango, Liberty...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without pictures, I am having a little bit of trouble visualizing the exact use of great stuff. Is it just to fill a gap? Or is it to create a structural panel?

You absolutely cannot create anything structural using great stuff. The type of foam you use is extremely important to the integrity of a panel. Great stuff is what is called friable foam. it will fall apart in a short time if it is subjected to a load.

* This post was edited 06/11/19 06:44am by HadEnough *

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks... didn't have my phone with when I was doing the repairs, so no photos yet.

The idea was to try and create a structural panel between two sheets of luan, but it sounds like that might not work as thought. Apparently the spray foam can also trap water, which is the last thing I need right now.

Guess I'll have to go back to cutting down a foam panel that will fit into the aluminum frame, and gluing that down to the luan. GreatStuff does make a polyurethane spray adhesive that says it will bond to foam panels, so maybe I'll have to give that a try.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also removed the front windows as well with out 1977 Roll-a-Long due to rot in the top bunk[image] then rounded the front out original front [image], and with new front installed [image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Rebuild Cabover using Great Stuff?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS