RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: To tire shine/gloss or not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> To tire shine/gloss or not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like the look, then add the tire shine. I use black magic tire wet on both cars, but not on the truck or trailer.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So tell us, do you plan on crawling under the trailer and TV to do the inside sides of the tires?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a huge issue with RV tires. Tires can deteriorate when they are not used. They can actually live much longer if they are used at highway speeds fairly frequently. The heat helps draw chemicals to the surface which protect against dry rot. A tire that is not used can deteriorate in 4 years. I learned that the hard way when I tried to use a 4 year old spare tire.

When I researched the issue, I could not find anything positive about most tire treatments extending tire life. In fact there were some warnings that solvent based materials can accelerate deterioration. I did find positive support for Aerospace 303 which is water based. In order to be of value, you must first clean the tires on both sides and then apply the 303 on both sidewalls. You need to repeat about every 6 weeks.

BTW, the other method of extending tire life is to use a fabric cover. That will block UV rays but I doubt it will do much to extend tire life. My spare was stored under the truck and was never exposed to direct light.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

So tell us, do you plan on crawling under the trailer and TV to do the inside sides of the tires?

Why would anyone? The inside doesn’t see the sunlight like the outside does.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe for a second that tire dressing hurts a tire, but once you start you have to keep up with it if you want black tires. Every dressing I've used seems to turn the tires brownish when it wears off.

Any products that don't do that I'm all ears. Like Armorall the tires sometimes but I'm not out shining tires every few weeks....

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Because tires dry rot without any exposure to sunlight.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Because tires dry rot without any exposure to sunlight.

Yes, but faster in direct sunlight. On my last trailer the 2 curb side tires were always facing the south so they got sunlight all the time. the other 2 were on the north. When I replaced the tires (every 5 years) the 2 that got the exposure always showed signs of dry rot on the outside sidewall. the side away from the sun always looked good as did the insides of the tires. sunlight will kill a tire especially those that sit for extended time!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yup.
Next time rotate the tires after a couple years of its parked in the same spot. Your welcome, lol.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Armor all the inside of your tires = you’re so bored you literally don’t know what to do!
Anyone suffering from this syndrome, put down the spray bottle gently and call me. I have much more productive and satisfying projects for you at my place. You will not run out of things to do for a long time. Guaranteed....

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Armor all the inside of your tires = you’re so bored you literally don’t know what to do!
Anyone suffering from this syndrome, put down the spray bottle gently and call me. I have much more productive and satisfying projects for you at my place. You will not run out of things to do for a long time. Guaranteed....

BUT, I read it on the internet!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> To tire shine/gloss or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS