|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Brake Issues - Weak Brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I don't buy the burnishing. I've never burnished brakes and haven't noticed a difference in stopping power. Even if burnishing has an effect, I don't think it will have the effect you're looking for.
Mine didn't stop worth a **** until I burnished them. Was night and day after I did the burnishing procedure.

I do agree with running home runs for every wheel back to the tongue. Way easier to diagnose an electrical issue since you can isolate it to one wheel/circuit.

BTW...they are never wired serially. I think you are confusing it with "daisy chaining". The magnets are still in parallel.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tsherv wrote:

I think I'm on to something: I tested the voltage of the blue wire coming from my brake controller while pushing the manual override. It measured 12 volts (which it should). When I tested the brake pin of the 7 pin connector, it only registered about 3 volts. I tested the blue wire right before it went into the 7 pin connector, and it measured 12 volts. I'm thinking maybe the 7 pin connector on my truck is bad?

Sounds like you found it. Do check the other pins as well so you know that you have a good ground while checking with a voltmeter. Even with a bad connection, it is surprising that the reading is that low with no load.

Usually you should replace all brakes on an axle so they have the same effect. Yes, burnishing does take time and with only one side new, there will be quite a difference possibly pulling the trailer to one side. Don't believe those that discount the effect of burnishing, in recent years brake friction material has changed causing the poor performance when new.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tsherv wrote:

I think I'm on to something: I tested the voltage of the blue wire coming from my brake controller while pushing the manual override. It measured 12 volts (which it should). When I tested the brake pin of the 7 pin connector, it only registered about 3 volts. I tested the blue wire right before it went into the 7 pin connector, and it measured 12 volts. I'm thinking maybe the 7 pin connector on my truck is bad?

I'm thinking you're correct.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you installed the new brake, was the small shoe towards the front of the vehicle?

RVing since 1995.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wear on one side indicates you already had an issue of non functioning brakes. There is no wear when they don't function.

I recommend starting with a DC clamp-on ammeter at each wheel. Full manual braking you should see 3 amps at each wheel. If they are all low you have a central connection issue. If one is low you have a problem with that one wheel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electric Brake Issues - Weak Brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS