RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Slide vs no slide

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rexmitchell

Texas

Full Member

Joined: 03/14/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/11/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve owned A TT with a slide for a few years but find myself looking for something a little lighter and newer. The cost of a new TT is cheaper w/o a slide than with. Other than the obvious reduction of space, I’d like to hear someone’s experience of having a slide and not. A little more info, this will be boondock camping with a generator way off the grid. When it’s hot we will be inside more (Texas), but when the weather is nice we will be at our hunting camp and outdoors a bit. I always felt the slide was a weak point in the unit due to the seals, and potential failure point with the motor. I’m not 100% opposed to getting another one with a slide but wonder how much I’ll really miss it. We are looking at TTs that have at least two bunks in the back and the couch will not be used for a bed realistically. Thanks in advance.

K Charles

Connecticut

Senior Member

Joined: 03/06/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You asked how much you would miss the slide. No one knows but you. I say the more slides the better.





Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer no slides. But in reality that's kind of like trying to buy a new car with manual windows and three on the tree. My Creek Side was carefully selected as it has a walk around queen bed and a big back wind with U-shaped dinette and no slides. We pay for that...small bathroom That's what is important to us. Slides make the framing weaker on whatever side it is on. You can't have a hole that big in the side of a trailer and not expect it to have an affect (effect?) at some point in it's life span. I would say, the longer the trailer, the more that hole in the side will weaken the coach. If it is a stick and tin coach, then it's going to be exponentially more, 'specially if you travel off road and back country roads much. As I get older and retire, I might find that my cute little 20fq is getting small for my bride and I and may have to go to a larger rig....it will probably have a slide. I'll do a lot of looking and asking prior to buying one and it will likely be 26 feet or less in length. My own opinions. Others will chime in. Or Gong me off the post!


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali, stock....for now. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/300 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

winniman

muskoka

Senior Member

Joined: 01/26/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother had a 2005 TT with no slide. When he went to sell it, almost every person calling asked if it had a slide. People in general want slides. Resale might be an issue down the road without one. Myself personally, I wouldn't buy any rv without one. Makes a world of difference in useable space. If someone is cooking, you have to turn sideways to pass in the kitchen without a slide. More the merrier for me too. The only ones I might be hesitant about are full wall slides, and possibly kitchen slides that all the plumbing has to flex every time the slide goes in and out.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winniman wrote:

My brother had a 2005 TT with no slide. When he went to sell it, almost every person calling asked if it had a slide. People in general want slides. Resale might be an issue down the road without one. Myself personally, I wouldn't buy any rv without one. Makes a world of difference in useable space. If someone is cooking, you have to turn sideways to pass in the kitchen without a slide. More the merrier for me too. The only ones I might be hesitant about are full wall slides, and possibly kitchen slides that all the plumbing has to flex every time the slide goes in and out.


Yup.........all true. More people want slides than don't if you go to sell it will likely affect the time it takes to sell.

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't miss the slide at all. One less thing to maintain.


2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOuldn't have another TT, FW etc w/o a slide

Current FW has 3 and is going on 13 yrs old
No issues with the slides, seals and we FTd so slides went out/in routinely/weekly over the course of first 7 yrs on the road.

Slide toppers.....different story
Wouldn't have them


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

OleManOleCan

Alabama

Full Member

Joined: 01/21/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

You asked how much you would miss the slide. No one knows but you. I say the more slides the better.


I was the other way around.
Slides aren't for me.
My last store bought trailer had a slide that I hated.
Yep, it gave us more space, but we didn't really need that space.

When we camp we spend most of the time out of our camper.

My current camper has no slide outs... Nothing to leak, nothing to have problems dragging ect... No pine straw to have to remove before we slide in to return home.
We don't miss our much larger camper. The one we have now simply fits our needs
without having things we neither needed or wanted.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

Full Member

Joined: 01/21/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/19 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

I prefer no slides. But in reality that's kind of like trying to buy a new car with manual windows and three on the tree. My Creek Side was carefully selected as it has a walk around queen bed and a big back wind with U-shaped dinette and no slides. We pay for that...small bathroom That's what is important to us. Slides make the framing weaker on whatever side it is on. You can't have a hole that big in the side of a trailer and not expect it to have an affect (effect?) at some point in it's life span. I would say, the longer the trailer, the more that hole in the side will weaken the coach. If it is a stick and tin coach, then it's going to be exponentially more, 'specially if you travel off road and back country roads much. As I get older and retire, I might find that my cute little 20fq is getting small for my bride and I and may have to go to a larger rig....it will probably have a slide. I'll do a lot of looking and asking prior to buying one and it will likely be 26 feet or less in length. My own opinions. Others will chime in. Or Gong me off the post!


My wife and I went the other way. We went from a 30' with a slide to a
18' w/o a slide. As we have got older we find we don't need all the bells and whistles. Simplifying has been nice.

Area13

Fox Island, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2014

View Profile



Posted: 06/12/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went from my last 5 RV’s WITH slides, to getting a brand new one without one by choice. I could have paid 2-4k more and got several different ORV models with slides, money had nothing to do with my decision.Just 2 of us and tend to sit or play outside as much as possible fishing, hiking or just sitting by a fire. We also only take a lot of 2-4 night trips opposed to 1-2 weeks on the road. My last RV had a couch and a recliner, ridiculous it seemed! I can do that at home! I need to get my lard azz off of the couch more!
So basically if we did long trips or get retired and snowbird, maybe then again, don’t see the need now. I also have had minor slide issues on 2 of my previous rigs, and when it gets cold (i winter camp) they all leak air a bit. My buddy with a higher end TT (built in Oregon) is currently having water leak slide issues also.
Our reasons for no slide-
Potty/lunch breaks will be easier traveling. Picking a site without worrying about what the slide is going to hit will be easier. No worry about mechanical issues or air/water leaks. Lighter. Currently have a floor plan that works without a slide, walk around queen up front, big separation (i get up early) to our huge dinette to eat and play yahtzee in the rear, works for us and simple.


2020 ORV Creekside 21RD
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0 4x4 3.73

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS