|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our next TT will be with no slide.

Thousands of Airstreams are sold with no slide.

There is a market out there for no slides, the less holes in the RV the better.

Looking at the Bigfoot 25B25RT

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

You asked how much you would miss the slide. No one knows but you. I say the more slides the better.

x2
we went from 1 living room slide to a 37ft rear living 3 slide TT

more room the better for myself, wife and 4 small dogs

to each his own. we prefer to spend as much time as possible outside the camper, however, we "glamp" 1 or 2 weekends all year long as well as longer trips.

there are alot of times when its extremely hot, extremely cold, raining, etc. we love the space for relaxing when outside is not so comfortable. we don't only love the outdoor life, we use our camper to explore different parts of the country and it makes a nice comfortable, big home base

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew up camping before slides and witnessed their development. So much less cramped.

As far as "one more thing to maintain", you can live without air/con, heat, running water, etc... and use the same excuse. The question is does it add enough benefit to outweigh the maintenance...in a heartbeat. Probably would choose slides over the furnace.

As someone else mentioned, expect to have a hard time selling when the time comes as 99% of the market will demand slides.

Also, where are you coming up with a lower price? Is that theoretical MSRP or actual negotiated offers from a dealer? A no-slide unit is likely to be a special order, so you likely won't get as big of a discount, if any compared to buying off the lot.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I prefer smaller, lighter, less complicated TT. Last year we bought a used TT without slides in great shape, used it for a month long trip covering 6000 miles. We sold that TT when we got back. I listed it on Craigslist at noon on Saturday and got my first call within 30 minutes. The first person that called drove 40 miles to see the TT and bought it immediately. We had over 30 calls in 3 hours.
It was an entry level TT, lightly used in great shape, and reasonably priced. There are many people looking for a simple, lightweight TT without slides. Resale was not a problem at all even without slides.
I looked around four a TT about the same size but different floor plan. We got a great price on the new one because it didn't have any slides.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I know is slides break constantly. If it’s not the gears and the mechanism, it’s the wiring. I can’t stand my slide. I wish my truck camper came without one.

Area13

Fox Island, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOTS of people prefer or wish they had no slides, period and more than 1%, lol.
Some of the highest quality rigs have no slides. Airstream, Bigfooot and Northernlite to name a few.
It’ ok to have slides, I myself have had many and may again one day. There is trade offs both ways. I have never had so many people, friends and family comment and rave about my new slideless rig. I’m pretty sure i’ll have zero problem with resale one day.

Slideless

2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

All I know is slides break constantly. If it’s not the gears and the mechanism, it’s the wiring. I can’t stand my slide. I wish my truck camper came without one.

Perhaps your slides break constantly, but not ours. Our Class C had 2 slides. The only issue we had was the living room slide would blow a fuse every so often. Couldn't figure it out, nor could the dealer, so just replaced a fuse a few times a year.

Our current TT has 4 slides, no issues with them.

I couldn't imagine owning any RV without slides. The more the merrier. For the last 5 years our family of 4 has camped seasonally, all day, everyday for 4-5 months. The more room the better.

To the OP: just like with anything, everyone has an opinion and they all differ. Only you will know whether or not you will be happy going from a unit with slides to a unit without.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Jayco23FB

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the size of the slide, the trailer will be more structurally sound without one. I prefer no slide for a few reasons. 1. the trailer is lighter and stronger. 2. I dont have to worry about selecting a site based on extending a slide(s). 3. No leaks, track marks or failed seals. 4. I can get into and use the trailer while traveling without extending the slide or squeezing by it to use the bathroom or eat lunch. 5. No failed extend/retract systems to deal with. I understand why people like slides (we had one) but for our traveling and camping the no slide is our preference.

Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold a hybrid trailer with no slide. The hallway was narrow, cramped even for 2 people. With 3 dogs it did not work well. Now I have a Rockwood with one really deep slide. It makes all the difference. The middle of the trailer is open with lots of floor space. It makes a 24 foot trailer totally livable.

Slides add some weight like 400 pounds or so but they make smaller trailers much more livable. Just make sure you have a way to charge your batteries so you can always get it closed.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our present camper has a small dinette slide. We didn’t buy it because of that. We loved the floor plan regardless. Our previous camper was 2’ longer w/o a slide with the same basic layout and we would still have it if it hadn’t had serious delam problems.
The slide is not in the way when in and only goes out 18”. Neither of us would miss it.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS