|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated earlier, slide or no slide will depend on you, your plans and your method of camping. What you want matters the most.

We had a small trailer with a slide and I was amazed at the added space. They really open up a trailer and the big boys with 3 slides are amazing. Someone stated that they love their slides because they camp months at a time. If I were full timing I would get slides, the more the better. But, we don't camp full time and don't want to deal with the added cost, the added weight and the added potential for issues. We had issues with ours and while fixable, it wasn't fun.

We like to go down the road and stop without having to worry about putting out the slide. We also don't need the extra room to get around our kitchen island, or to extend our matching recliners so we can see our big screen tv. Don't forget the built in "fireplace" that we need to get in front of. Again, it comes down to camping style. If we had a big family that came with us in our trailer then space would be more important. Again, to each his own. Consider what you want and go that direction.

As far as resale goes, a well cared for trailer with a fair price will sell, with our without slides.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that insist that a slide unit is less structurally sound.... You DO realize that they don't just put a hole in the side, right? The structure is beefed up for the hole.
I have had my slide TTs in places that no TT should be.... Never had a mechanical issue. The biggest maintainence issue just happened to my present TT. The AZ sun deteiorated some of the seals. It was an easy fix.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each their own. I am just a weekend camper. I know that my 20 foot TT is not Real Camping but, I got older and reached the point where sleeping in a tent on the ground is no longer comfortable. I don't need, or want a slide. The TT is for sleeping, a decent bathroom, a fridge, and a sink. On occasion I even use the stove and furnace. I don't want anything so fancy as to have a slide. I'm camping, that means being outside doing things. Not setting around inside the camper.

The reason I keep my 1993 TT around is for it's simplicity. It's getting kinda shot but, I can't find a newer one that fits my need so well. (In my price range)

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truthfully. A slide can just be in the way. IF the slide keeps you from fully using the TT with the slide in. That is a deal breaker. Some places you can't get it out because of trees. And if you can't use it with the slide in. You can't camp there. My TT has a slide. But the TT is fully usable with the slide in.
If I had to choose between having a slide, and not be able to fully use the Tt with it in, or not have a slide. Then I would not have a slide. Not worth the hassle.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last TT was a 2007 Forest River Rockwood, Model 2502. We ordered/received it in October 2006. Only just now giving it to our niece.

The reason we didn't want a slide at the time was the weight limitation on the 2005 Nissan Xterra. It was limited to 5000 lbs. The trailer was a tad under 4000, with all the factory ordered options. The SUV had no problems towing it. Finally traded the SUV at 90K miles for an F150, so we could take more gear.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The downside of not having a slide really didn't bother us until we brought guests. When the couch is folded into a bed, the pathway to the bathroom almost disappears.

[image]

Nothing like doing the "crab shuffle" down the hallway in the middle of the night. We made it work, but we typically don't take guests. If we did, a slide would be a must have for us if we go back to having a TT.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

johntinacamping

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's amazing to read some of these comments. Good and bad. Here's how simple it is for us: It's only my wife and I and we are in our mid 40's. We started in 2010 with a 14 foot trailer with no slides and the dinette folded down to make the bed. A couple of years later we moved up to a 19 foot trailer with no slides but it had rear bunks. We occasionally had a niece and nephew who would go with us. In 2015 we moved up to a 28 foot trailer with an island sink and opposing slides. One slide contains the fridge and microwave, the other is the dinette and couch. When it is opened up, it has SPACE - WE LOVE IT. No more turning to walk past each other. We use our trailer for traveling, like a mobile condo or cabin. We have all the comforts of home and can pull that traveling home to the mountains, the lake, the beach and anywhere in between. We will never have another trailer without slides. We want to be comfortable when we travel. There are more advantages to having slides than disadvantages, in my opinion.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what the non slide proponents say.... They are in the minority. And it is getting more so every day. The market is going in that direction... You like your non slide TT for whatever reason... Great. Just don't act like it will resell as easy and for as much money as a slide TT... That just isn't reality.

Area13

Fox Island, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

No matter what the non slide proponents say.... They are in the minority. And it is getting more so every day. The market is going in that direction... You like your non slide TT for whatever reason... Great. Just don't act like it will resell as easy and for as much money as a slide TT... That just isn't reality.

Thanks for schooling “US” on “reality and” our terrible decision to purchase non slide TT’s and also our challenges with resale values, appreciate it! My real question is, how do I make my print a dramatic blue?

2020 ORV Creekside 21RD
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0 4x4 3.73

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Pretty sure my non slide TT in 20 years will hold its value better and be worth much more than most TT's and 5'vrs with slides assuming most will even make it that long. Since you brought up resale and all.......

* This post was edited 06/13/19 07:04pm by NWnative *

2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

NWnative

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And then there is this timely post.....

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29909842.cfm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS