|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mortons battery charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RSD559

Northern Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mortons on the Move - Go North - episode 4. They are using the dual alternator setup in their F-350 to charge their RV batteries. About 250 amps worth. I am very interested in this, but on a smaller scale. They connect through an LI-BIM. Anyone have experience with this? I don't have 5 LI batteries like they do, but I have 4 AGMs. Any info would be appreciated.

2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your tow vehicle the primary way that you charge the house batteries ?

If not, all of that probably isn't worth the time and effort and money.

Let them get what they will get while going down the road with the stock setup to be sure they don't go flat.....and then charge good at your destination.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whats the question? looks like they are just tied into the starter battery's and are using a voltage bi-di relay. nothing special.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real issue with charging a large battery in a trailer is the voltage drop in the long thin wire from the alternator to the battery.

Consider a DC-DC charger to boost the voltage:

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

You may need to pull new wire if the OEM fuse is too small. Check with them if a larger rated charger is available soon.

Don't rule out 200 to 500 watts solar on the roof. Solar works rolling or not as long as the sun is on the trailer.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

RSD559

Northern Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is some smarts built into the BIM. It cycles on and off to prevent the alternator from getting hot. I just want to know where to find it so I can investigate more.

RSD559

Northern Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They actually ran 1 gauge wire to a disconnect plug.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RSD559 wrote:

There is some smarts built into the BIM. It cycles on and off to prevent the alternator from getting hot. I just want to know where to find it so I can investigate more.

its right from battle born..

clicky

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The real issue with charging a large battery in a trailer is the voltage drop in the long thin wire from the alternator to the battery.

Consider a DC-DC charger to boost the voltage:

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

There are other brands available, but check to be sure they have a charging profile that will work with your AGM batteries.

The CTEK D250SA will provide proper charging for AGM batteries at up to 20A. It accepts power from the vehicle charging system and solar panels. When combined with the CTEK SmartPass it can charge at over 100A, assuming you can provide that much power.

Hooking a second alternator directly to a house bank is NOT a good solution for optimal battery life !

The exception to that statement is Battle Born LiFe batteries which have a built battery management (charge controller) !

* This post was edited 06/12/19 11:31am by theoldwizard1 *

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd alternator is fine as long as the battery internal temps do not rise more than 15 degrees above ambient. Difficulty with an alternator squashed where it cannot get cooler air is cured with a remote full wave bridge rectifier mounted near the batteries. It'll reduce thermal burden about 35% and on a hairpin alternator about 22%

RSD559

Northern Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Battle Born device appears to be only for LI batteries. The Renogy mentioned above has an optional temp sensor for the alternator. My F-350 has a 200 amp alternator, so if I do something like this, it will be a modest charging rate. My trailer has an enclosed underbelly, so running wires back to where my electrical stuff is would be hard. The limiting factor is the size of the wires that used to be connected to the batteries on the a-frame. I'll have to pull up the sizing chart and see how much I can safely run through the wires. Thanks for all of the responses.
BTW, I've only owned my F-350 for about 3 weeks. I traded in the F-150 Ecoboost for it. One of it's batteries died this morning, so I replaced both today. The battery that died was original. It was paired with one about 6 months old. Grrrrr. The newer battery appears to be OK. So, I guess I have an extra. I was going to check them out eventually. Our plan is in the spring, after the wife retires, to hit the road for a few months. Pushing the F-150 at it's limit for that kind of trip wouldn't have been good for it. So we traded it in.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Mortons battery charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS